Question How could I just Clone My OS From My HDD to my SSD

MXGamer80

Reputable
Apr 23, 2017
I was just wondering, if it's possible to just clone my windows 10 operating system from my hdd to my ssd. But I don't want to clone my entire hdd to my ssd as I only have 250gb of space. I plan on just installing games on the ssd, and using it as a boot drive.

There is really no easy way to do what you want to do that I am aware of.

I think the next best thing would be to uninstall as much as you can and hopefully you can get down to below about 200 gb (you don't want to run the SSD more than about 80% full).

Then do a clone.

Another option would be to just do a clean Windows install on the SSD.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Actually, cloning from HDD to SSD, even entirely, I think causes some issues with the system expecting to find an HDD in the system.

Partial cloning is not possible.

You will have to do a clean install. The ideal way is to disconnect the HDD, leaving in only the SSD. Install the OS, let it do all the updates. Then when all that is done, reconnect the HDD. You will still have to reinstall software, though.

USAFRet

Titan
I was just wondering, if it's possible to just clone my windows 10 operating system from my hdd to my ssd. But I don't want to clone my entire hdd to my ssd as I only have 250gb of space. I plan on just installing games on the ssd, and using it as a boot drive.
No can do.
There is no application or function to clone 'only the OS'.

A full clone is generally fine.
A partial clone is not possible.

Jun 5, 2019
Yes you can.
There are a lot of free cloning software that does exactly what your asking.
easeUS Todo Backup Free 11.5
https://www.easeus.com/backup-software/tb-free.html

They also offer a slightly more in depth free download called
easeUS Partition Master 13.5
https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/epm-free.html

Here is an explanation to your question using easeUS Todo Backup Free 11.5 -->
https://www.easeus.com/todo-backup-resource/free-clone-os-from-hdd-to-smaller-ssd.html

That will explain what I believe you want to accomplish.

And here is a video showing you how to do it -->
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=C6MVEwl0ceI

MXGamer80

Reputable
Apr 23, 2017
Yes you can.
There are a lot of free cloning software that does exactly what your asking.
easeUS Todo Backup Free 11.5
https://www.easeus.com/backup-software/tb-free.html

They also offer a slightly more in depth free download called
easeUS Partition Master 13.5
https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/epm-free.html

Here is an explanation to your question using easeUS Todo Backup Free 11.5 -->
https://www.easeus.com/todo-backup-resource/free-clone-os-from-hdd-to-smaller-ssd.html

That will explain what I believe you want to accomplish.

And here is a video showing you how to do it -->
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=C6MVEwl0ceI
Alright thank you

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'd be careful about that - I once tried to download easeus, from their site, just to do some partitioning cleanup, and it had either malware or crapware attached to it.

That was just the one experience, but I personally wouldn't trust it.

That the person posting it just joined today to make the suggestion to use easeus causes me to be suspicious, as well.

Jun 5, 2019
Use Macrium reflect, its free and simple and follow the guide in the video

View: https://youtu.be/7H7D1HcfY9o

Warning. I had a god awful issue with hanging as soon as I used the SSD cloned drive. The problem turned out to be my using pin not password login. So to get around this go into safe mode and it will ask you for your password, not pin. It will boot into safe mode and then you can just restart from there.

Have updated, rebooted, shutdown and restarted with no issues

Plus my old banger of a pc now runs a lot faster

USAFRet

Titan
If you have a 250GB SSD, and wish to clone from the old drive, your actual consumed space must be below 200GB.

If you have a Samsung target SSD, the Samsung Data Migration has the functionality to leave off folders containg stuff like pics/docs/movies.
But that is it. Everything else goes.

And that leaving off those folders can be very problematic anyway.
Navigation and permissions then become big issues.

USAFRet

Titan
Actually, cloning from HDD to SSD, even entirely, I think causes some issues with the system expecting to find an HDD in the system.
Done right, cloning works, and is quick and easy.
Done wrong, and you'll have major problems.

I use Macrium Reflect, and have a prepared script for exactly how to do it.
Done it many, many times.

In this case, however...the 250GB drive will not work.

Jun 5, 2019
It is possible because I done it! I cloned the entire disk and I had issues which was resolved by going into safe mode and logging in then rebooting. I copied all partitions (including WIN 10 OS and recovery partitions) from a WD 1TB HDD to a Crucual MX500 1TB SSD and am using that cloned disk right now. My old WD HDD is sitting in a drawer

In relation to the 250GB SSD I have a setup using that as the primary drive with OS and recovery partitions on it so it will work, but there are limitations. The problem with cloning the OS is that the partitions on the disk which it is stored has to be small enough to be shrunk and cloned onto the SSD with the original recovery partition. Furthermore there has to be a close parity to the original disk due to OS mapping of the drive and registry integrity. For instance the mapping will refer to disk 0 or 1 and the relevant partition. If you just try to swing the OS and recovery partitions and leave another partition in situ, then you have an error as the OS will expect to find the partition on the same drive and it on't be there.

In stating that you can reduce the entire contents of the original drive including partitions to below 230GB by removing programs and documents etc and then using Macrium Reflect to drop each partition down and shrinking them to fit (not the recovery partition) as shown in the video.

Now to get over potential page file memory issues with games you may need need extra RAM.

With my Samsung drive I have a secondary partition HDD which houses the documents and some software in secondary program files. The trouble with this is the speed of access and use of the programs are compromised by the HDD, even though the the OS is on the SSD. If the HDD fails I'm gonna have problems. That's why that machine is used primarily as a media centre!

Only programs that are loaded onto the SSD will benefit from the speed and to be frank you'd be better off getting a bigger SSD drive that is the same size as your original drive Otherwise like my other system it be quick to boot up and benefit some tasks, but will be anchored by the HDD speed.

The Price of SSDs are dropping because when I bought my Samsung EVO 850 drive a couple of years ago I paid the same price as I did for the Crucial drive last week.

So in reality trying to make it fit in a smaller space may not be worth it and if you buy a 1TB drive you can use the 250GB drive as a secondary drive with no loss of speed!

The 1TB MX500 is near on $120 125€ £110 from Amazon

I hope that clears it up a bit better

Jun 5, 2019

He just wants the OS and that isn’t possible unless he wants the entire drive and can fit it

Agreed but I don't think his aim was purely to drop the OS partition alone or the fact that he may not be aware of the constraints. I thought the aim here was to explain and offer a solution, not a simple it can't be done because that is just pedantry in a answer to a question!

MS claim Win 10 has a minimum requirement of 32GB for a clean install so a 250GB is more than adequate. As long as he does the grunt work to make everything fit of the original disk to sub 200GB, he should be fine. Having a disk to clone to that is the same size as the original is the easiest and simplest option but not the only option. Only when you point to the ins, outs and pitfalls can people weigh up their options and make an informed decision on what to do next.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
It is possible because I done it! I cloned the entire dis

What you describe is not what the OP wants. It's a much safer bet to assume that OP's existing drive is a single partition, than to assume he/she has the OS on a separate partition, otherwise they wouldn't be saying that they do NOT want to clone the entire thing.