Question How could you mount some small heat sinks upside down without any screws zip ties etc? Need something sticky.

reaper89971

Prominent
Jun 2, 2023
I need to be able to mount some small heat sinks made of copper or aluminum upside down all the time upside down. Without any screws. How could i do this.

I need to keep some surface mount mosfets cool. I have a weird power supply that only fits in my case without the original heat sinks on. I had to take the shielding and heat sinks off in order to fit everything.

I am building a computer inside of a fat Playstation 2 and it has been challenging to find a power supply that isn't a pico that will fit in the case. I discovered the Gan HDPLEX HIFI DC-ATX 500 watt power supply that will fit inside the case but you have to take the shielding/heatsinks off in order to fit it into the case comfortably

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
you have to take the shielding/heatsinks off in order to fit it into the case comfortably
Just spotted this thread after posting an answer in a different section.

If you're determined to chuck the manufacturer's carefully designed (large) passive heatsink in the bin and fit your own (smaller?) heatsinks, then good luck. You might get away with it if you're pulling less than 200W from the 500W PSU, because the wild heat should be down to around 20W at 90% efficiency.

As a rough rule of thumb, it you burn your fingers on the new MOSFET heatsinks, they're not really big enough, or you need a fan.