Question How delete both HDD and SSD pristine ckean

tomachas

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
Hi,

I have recently built my new PC and now I want to clean up my old system before I sell it. So my question would be what is the best way to delete so there no trace of anything?
I had reinstalled same old PC in the past but some reminiscence would be left like old windows part. I am not super techy but try my best tomake sense. Excuse my lack of understanding.

Thanks

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
start the windows install and delete each partition on each drive, after the drives are partition free and "blank" then let windows install as it wishes. this way you can sell it with a working windows install.

Wiping each drive is more secure, albeit longer to finish and must be done before you install the OS and may require another computer.

the most secure option is keeping the drives.

Last edited:
Reactions: tomachas
Sanitize for SSD. How to achieve that depends on the model and whether or not it has Secure Erase in the toolbox. Usually you want to do Secure Erase - using Parted Magic or similar if there's no toolbox, or a BIOS option, or SOMEhow - followed by a retrim command in Windows (Optimize-Volume -DriveLetter H -ReTrim).

Secure Erase: erases mapping table. Sanitize: Secure Erase, but also deletes data. Retrim: marks all unused blocks and aggressively erases. TRIM in Windows will do RZAT - Read Zero after TRIM.

USAFRet

Titan
That's exactly what wanted to ask before you posted reply. Yes, I want to install Windows 10 from USB without entering key license too.
After Secure Erase on the SSD (however you do that), install the OS on the drive with only the SSD connected.
And do this while the system is not connected to your LAN (or other outside connection)

Later, connect the HDD and DBAN.

tomachas

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
Thanks people for your help . Currently I am struggling to delete some files due to various Windows permission. A little stuck in the loop. I have chosen to delete my 2nd storage Hard Drive first, there are no Windows installed as far as I understand. When I complete that I will look into your replies further.

Many thanks!

tomachas

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
And I just replied to your follow on question.
Hi !

Thanks for giving a hand. All files are backed up now. I found the video how to delete it from cmd. Will try to find time to do it tomorrow though.
Do you know if it's safe/or should I delete reserved partition? I believe I made it when clean install.

USAFRet

Titan
Hi !

Thanks for giving a hand. All files are backed up now. I found the video how to delete it from cmd. Will try to find time to do it tomorrow though.
Do you know if it's safe/or should I delete reserved partition? I believe I made it when clean install.
First, you test.
Disconnect ALL drives except the one that holds the OS.
Power On.
Does it boot correctly?

If so, you can reconnect all other drives and wipe as desired.

tomachas

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
First, you test.
Disconnect ALL drives except the one that holds the OS.
Power On.
Does it boot correctly?

If so, you can reconnect all other drives and wipe as desired.
Sorry, been busy lately. Back now. Did just like you said. System bootted. HDD was secure deleted while SSD ciphered. Yesterday sold my old PC. Thanks for tour help!