[SOLVED] How difficult is it to clone a harddrive with Acronis?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 23, 2020
I'm wanting to upgrade the HDD in my Windows 7 laptop with an SSD and clone the HDD to the SSD. HDD has two partitions: Main partition and recovery partition.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2020
I used that recovery partition a week ago to do factory restore of Windows 7 on my laptop. It actually isn't an image. It has a file size of 29.9KB. What it did do during the "recovery" process was download the software rather than access any software in the partition.

This is why I tried to do a "system image" backup to a thumbdrive.
I used that recovery partition a week ago to do factory restore of Windows 7 on my laptop. It actually isn't an image. It has a file size of 29.9KB. What it did do during the "recovery" process was download the software rather than access any software in the partition.

This is why I tried to do a "system image" backup to a thumbdrive.
And as said, that recovery partition almost certainly gives you the functionality to create its own USB or DVD.
That partition wouldn't be much good if that physical drive died, and you had to replace it.

Look in the user manual. It will tell you how to create that.

I've never had much luck with, or faith in, the built in Windows 'system image' thing.
I might also note, the "Recovery" file in the partition folder is 29.9KB in size, but the partition is 14.1GB with a free space of 1.76GB.

Something cryptic is happening that is causing a lot of trouble and headache. Typical Microsoft Windows OS BS.

Jul 23, 2020
I got my new SSD in today and have tried to use Acronis to clone the HDD to it. At first Acronis kicked up some errors so I did checkdisk on the HDD. Once that completed and the system rebooted, Acronis would not load. I clicked on the shortcut several times and nothing happened. So I chose to try to reinstall Acronis from the downloaded file. It presented me with two options: Repair and Uninstall. So I chose repair thinking it would repair the installed program. It took a really long time and once complete the program still won't run.

I don't know if the checkdisk process displaced any files or what, but I am having zero luck getting anything done with this program.

Jul 23, 2020
The Free version works just fine. Seriously.
https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

And not a 30 day trial, actual free free.
I finally got Acronis to load by ending all instances of it in task manger and disconnecting the SSD from the USB port then clicking the shortcut. It's currently in the process of cloning the drive, but it spits out sector-write failures. The first time I ran the program, it spit out a couple sector-write failures. This time...after running checkdisk...it's only spit out one sector-write failure so far.

At least, though, the program has gotten to the point of "copying partition". Just now got another sector write failure...

Jul 23, 2020
Unknown. But if the procedure is failing...
Last night when the write fails popped up the program gave me the option to ignore the particular write failure or ignore all write failures. I opted for "ignore all". I let the process run all night and nothing changed; the process was still at the exact same point it was last night. So I cancelled it all out and am going to return the SSD and leave well enough alone.

USAFRet

Titan
Last night when the write fails popped up the program gave me the option to ignore the particular write failure or ignore all write failures. I opted for "ignore all". I let the process run all night and nothing changed; the process was still at the exact same point it was last night. So I cancelled it all out and am going to return the SSD and leave well enough alone.
Rare, but DOA drives do happen.