How do access my files using sata 2.5 hdd enclosure

Odd Fins

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Hello,
My old XP laptop died and I had to remove the hdd. I have now bought a new laptop that runs windows 8. I have connected my old hdd to the new laptop via a sata 2.5 hdd enclosure. When I try to access the files it says, you do not currently have permission to access this folder. How do access my old files?

Odd Fins

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
I can see the files and can navigate to "My Documents" and then I hit a wall. If I try and open this folder I get a pop up window that says "You don't currently have permission to access this folder", "click continue to permanently get access to this folder". If click on the continue tab, a second pop up window appears that says "You have been denied permission to access this folder"

Odd Fins

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Thanks mcnumpty23. Whilst not being the most computer literate person, I did manage to follow the steps in the link provided and can now see the contents of the hdd in my new laptops C drive, however the same problem still exists. I do not have permission to do anything.

are you right clicking the whole drive?

it wont do that--you cant take ownership of the whole drive--you need to for example if its drive D

double click drive D so you see the files and folders

then you can select as many files or folders as you want

right click and select take ownership

JefferyD90

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

Most of the time you didn't know. For example Dell may have put a 3rd party program on your machine to handle it, and then removed Microsoft's own 1st party program, changing the code of Windows to bend to Dell's will. Now you have a HP and HP uses its own thing, or allows Microsoft to do its own thing, and its not the same program controlling the permissions. It happens often. What I SUGGEST doing, is just getting to a folder that you want, copy it, then paste it on your current machine, disconnect the external drive and now try to access your files on your machine.

PS if it tells you "xxx file name is too long" or "xxx is a system file" you do not want to copy these over, just skip them.

Odd Fins

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Hi JefferyD90, If i try and copy and paste as you suggest, get a pop up window that says "Folder access denied" "You need to provide administrator permission to copy this folder".

it should do if you installed what i linked to

try restarting pc then see if it appears

or you can try manually changing permissions

double click computer --then one left click to select the drive you want

right click--select properties

go to security tab and edit

set all permissions for your user name to allow full control

Odd Fins

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Hi mcnumpty23, the link, after visited another castle took me to a page entitled "How to Access Files From SD Cards and USB Drives in Modern Windows 8 Apps" which showed a series of steps using screen shots and text. I didn't see a link.

I have just tried doing it manually following the steps that you listed above and still i cannot gain access to the files.

Odd Fins

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Wow, thank you so much mcnumpty23, I can now open, edit, copy (do what ever I like) all my old files onto my new laptop. That is a fantastic little piece of software.

I have no idea who you are or where you are, so I will never be able to thank you in person, but trust me I am so appreciative of your help last night.