HOW do AIO Coolers fail ?

joegoersch

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015
I'm thinking about a light gaming build using the Raijintex Metis Plus case, a small m-ITX build. In such a small case, cooling is obviously an issue to address. In my previous (ATX) build, air cooling was more than adequate. I'm thinking about an AIO cooler which intuitively seems to make sense for a small case--the heat generated by the CPU is transferred to a radiator and blown out rather than heating up the small case and relying on airflow to then carry it away. Better if immediately the heat is taken out of the case.

However, I 've read about several of these units leaking. That'd be really bad--I think. In the Metis case, the motherboard is on the side and the CPU and cooler would be positioned such that a gradual slow leak could potentially allow the water to harmlessly drip down to the bottom of the case where no particularly sensitive components reside.

Am I wrong about their failure mode ? Is it typically a drip ? Or is it a BOOM that splatters water all over sensitive electrical components ? Is there any way to mitigate the potential destruction of an AIO cooler ?

Thank ! Any thoughts would be appreciated !!!

Solution
Pump fail. Liquid no longer moves around. Overheating is the result.

Tiny Leak. Sufficient amount of juice leaks out, leading to overheat

Slightly larger leak. Drip drip onto the other components. Possible short. Smoke, spark, dead components.

USAFRet

Titan
Pump fail. Liquid no longer moves around. Overheating is the result.

Tiny Leak. Sufficient amount of juice leaks out, leading to overheat

Slightly larger leak. Drip drip onto the other components. Possible short. Smoke, spark, dead components.

Solution