[SOLVED] How do capture cards work ?

Charseza

Honorable
May 26, 2015
Hi so recently I've been thinking of buying a capture card to record my games.

First off, is that how that works lol? Enlighten me about capture cards please.

This particular one I plan to buy has an hdmi female, then like a body of a flash drive, and then an hdmi male. Can anyone tell me what goes into input and output? Output being the male hdmi

Solution
Your 1080ti is able to capture the games you are playing with Nvidia Geforce Experience. Your CPU is also capable, but here and there you may need to sacrifice a few fps. You don't need a capture card.

I captured all of this videos, not interesting stuff, just to report cheaters using my GTX 1070. Resolution was QHD while gaming, the captures were perfect, need to make some sacrifice to upload them to youtube.

(30) Serdar Yalçın - YouTube
Hi so recently I've been thinking of buying a capture card to record my games.

First off, is that how that works lol? Enlighten me about capture cards please.

This particular one I plan to buy has an hdmi female, then like a body of a flash drive, and then an hdmi male. Can anyone tell me what goes into input and output? Output being the male hdmi
If you have the 8400 of your signature than it has an iGPU very capable of recording games while you play them on your 1080ti.
The only thing you need to do is to connect your mobo to any of your monitors inputs so that windows notices that the iGPU is being used, you might also have to enable it in bios if it doesn't show up immediately.
Then use OBS and qsv (quick sync video) as the recording option.
You can also try and use nvenc (nvidia encoder) without changing anything but this will reduce FPS on games that use a lot of GPU.

With the capture card you would need an input from a second PC to record, the whole device plugs into your mobo or GPU and gets the input from another systems hdmi port/cable.

Reactions: Charseza

Charseza

Honorable
May 26, 2015
If you have the 8400 of your signature than it has an iGPU very capable of recording games while you play them on your 1080ti.
The only thing you need to do is to connect your mobo to any of your monitors inputs so that windows notices that the iGPU is being used, you might also have to enable it in bios if it doesn't show up immediately.
Then use OBS and qsv (quick sync video) as the recording option.
You can also try and use nvenc (nvidia encoder) without changing anything but this will reduce FPS on games that use a lot of GPU.

With the capture card you would need an input from a second PC to record, the whole device plugs into your mobo or GPU and gets the input from another systems hdmi port/cable.
OHHHHHHHH thanks for a thorough answer!!

So correct me if im wrong but, does that mean I cant record on 1 pc only? I was thinking maybe I just plug an hdmi cable to gpu that goes to the capture card then plug it in the usb port to record on the same pc hehe

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
Your 1080ti is able to capture the games you are playing with Nvidia Geforce Experience. Your CPU is also capable, but here and there you may need to sacrifice a few fps. You don't need a capture card.

I captured all of this videos, not interesting stuff, just to report cheaters using my GTX 1070. Resolution was QHD while gaming, the captures were perfect, need to make some sacrifice to upload them to youtube.

(30) Serdar Yalçın - YouTube

Reactions: Charseza
Solution
I was thinking maybe I just plug an hdmi cable to gpu that goes to the capture card then plug it in the usb port to record on the same pc hehe
That would need you to have a way to still see what you send to the capture card which can be done by cloning the display to a different output of the same card, because looking at the window that is being captured will have a a decent amount of lag.
But the bigger problem would be that these capture cards rely on the PC to do the encoding so FPS drops (or dropped frames in the recording) will be a plenty.