Question How do I avoid black screen after selecting install booting from USB stick with Ubuntu image in 64 bits computer?

goahead97

Commendable
Feb 28, 2021
Hello

I tried to boot a with USB stick with Ubuntu 18.04 64 bits in a modern 64 bits computer. Then my computer displayed a blank screen after selecting the "install" option of the Ubuntu USB stick and nothing happened afterwards.

After that, I decided to try the same USB stick with a 32 bits Ubuntu 18.04 image in an old 32 bits computer. Then this computer booted successfully with this USB stick. Then I tried the same USB stick with the same 32 bits Ubuntu 18.04 image in the modern 64 bits computer. But only a black screen with no symbols at all got displayed.

The modern computer specs are:
Processor Manufacturer Intel® Processor Type Core™ i5 Processor Model i5-1035G1 Processor Speed 1 GHz Processor Core Quad-core (4 Core™) Display & Graphics Graphics Controller Manufacturer Intel® Graphics Controller Model UHD Graphics Graphics Memory Technology DDR4 SDRAM Graphics Memory Accessibility Shared Memory Standard Memory 8 GB Memory Technology DDR4 SDRAM

Does anyone know how I can boot Ubuntu sucessfully in the 64 bits computer? For some strange reason this modern computer hangs somehow after selecting the "install" option of the USB stick boot menu whereas the 32 bits computer boots successfully with the same USB stick when the 32 bits Ubuntu image is stored in this stick.

I have tried by:
  • disabling secure boot
  • by changing Optane without RAID to AHCI

But none of the two previous approaches fixed it.
By the way, I already posted the same question on a different forum:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/131...th-fixed-cursor-to-install-ubuntu-from-usb-dr
I hope I did not violate this forum's rules because of doing so. I just posted the same question here in case I received a quicker answer because I need to get Ubuntu installed in an external SSD asap for work purposes.

I must say I already could boot this 64 bits computer in the past with a USB stick with Ubuntu 18.04 but for some strange reason it does not work now. I guess the problem might have to do something with the BIOS options.

I also tried different suggested solutions I found online such as typing "e" and replacing "quiet splash" with "nomodeset" or acpi=off, etc but none of them worked as expected.

Thanks

Last edited:

goahead97

Commendable
Feb 28, 2021
I looked into this for you, your problem is your system is too new for ldlx. Even ubuntu doesn't support intel 10th gen processors yet.
I don't know how they have a 32bit version when ubuntu doesn't. <hmmmm>
Well, it could be new. But then I wonder how I could install LXLE 64 bits Ubuntu 18.04 in an external SSD drive from a USB stick in the same 64 bits computer some time ago. It worked but now it does not work. I must have changed something somehow. I do know I reformatted the USB stick where I had the 64 bits LXLE Ubuntu 18.04 image that I successfully installed once. Then I had to move the image back again to this USB stick. May be the formatting the USB stick changed something.

goahead97

Commendable
Feb 28, 2021
I've experienced a black screen with a blinking cursor after install a number of times with Ubuntu. Every time, I needed to re-install GRUB from a live session.

https://howtoubuntu.org/how-to-repair-restore-reinstall-grub-2-with-a-ubuntu-live-cd
I did not see any blinking cursor on the screen. Sometimes I saw nothing at all and some other times I saw a fixed cursor that did not blink.

Anyway, since I am lost now, I did another test. I used RUFUS and moved Ubuntu image to the USB stick with GPT format instead of MBR format. Now the USB stick boots straight to GRUB2 instead of loading Ubuntu.
Does anyone know how to proceed from here?

Last edited:

popatim

Titan
Well, it could be new. But then I wonder how I could install LXLE 64 bits Ubuntu 18.04 in an external SSD drive from a USB stick in the same 64 bits computer some time ago. It worked but now it does not work. I must have changed something somehow. I do know I reformatted the USB stick where I had the 64 bits LXLE Ubuntu 18.04 image that I successfully installed once. Then I had to move the image back again to this USB stick. May be the formatting the USB stick changed something.

Thanks for the tip. I found this. I didn't know they backloaded the newer kernel. 19.x and up were supposed to get the newer kernel.
Originally Posted by ProDigit
Thanks for the thoughts.
5 months later, and Linux kernel 5 is available also on 18.04.

goahead97

Commendable
Feb 28, 2021
Thanks for the tip. I found this. I didn't know they backloaded the newer kernel. 19.x and up were supposed to get the newer kernel.
I tried to boot the comptuer with Ubuntu 20.04.2.0 LTS from the same USB stick and I did not get the problem described in this post. That means I did not get a blank screen after selecting "install" in the boot menu of the USB stick.

I guess there must be a bug that prevents this computer from booting correctly with Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS. If anyone got to know how to get rid of this blank screen, let me know.

I will keep on looking for a solution.
Thanks