Question How do I change my default graphics card?

Jul 9, 2019
Yesterday I bought a AMD Radeon RX 580, it works greatly on fortnite were I can run high settings on 150 fps but when I try it on different games it just doesn't give the same experience, I tried installing user benchmark to test my computer's performance but it displays that I have the Intel HD 4400 and ignores the amd , I tried looking through youtube for solutions but they all use amd catlayst control system and I have amd adrenaline 2019, I really hope I do get an answer and another thing I should say is that I use a desktop computer not a laptop.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yesterday I bought a AMD Radeon RX 580, it works greatly on fortnite were I can run high settings on 150 fps but when I try it on different games it just doesn't give the same experience, I tried installing user benchmark to test my computer's performance but it displays that I have the Intel HD 4400 and ignores the amd , I tried looking through youtube for solutions but they all use amd catlayst control system and I have amd adrenaline 2019, I really hope I do get an answer and another thing I should say is that I use a desktop computer not a laptop.
You've probably plugged your display cable into the motherboard and not the GPU.
Plug HDMI or Displayport from your GPU to your monitor.

Also ensure you have latest drivers installed.

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Right click on a free spot on your desktop and go to display settings,scroll down and click on graphics settings,here you can browse for and select each game individually and choose which GPU to use.
Obviously you do not need to do this for games were you can select between GPUs in it's settings.

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/11/30/assign-graphics-performance-preferences-windows-10-programs/
Currently it would appear OP does not have a display cable plugged into the GPU.

It appears that the OP has the monitor plugged into the motherboard, not the physical GPU. Hence, "Intel HD 4400 "
Yes how many times do I have to repeat myself?
Windows allows you to choose between a low power and a high performance option the first will be the iGPU the second will be the discreed one.
No matter which one you have connected windows will use the one you choose and drive the monitor through the other cards connection.
Follow the link look at the pictures,do it yourself on your windows 10, MS actually incorporated something useful into win10 I know it's very hard to believe but the setting is there for anybody to look at.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes how many times do I have to repeat myself?
Windows allows you to choose between a low power and a high performance option the first will be the iGPU the second will be the discreed one.
No matter which one you have connected windows will use the one you choose and drive the monitor through the other cards connection.
Follow the link look at the pictures,do it yourself on your windows 10, MS actually incorporated something useful into win10 I know it's very hard to believe but the setting is there for anybody to look at.
This, from my system just now.
I have a choice to choose between RX580 and RX580.
caNCklP.jpg

There is no option to select the iGPU.

USAFRet

Titan
I just checked my HTPC, and it is the same.
Only the actual GPU is an option. That is what the monitor is plugged into.

So, for this theoretical choosing option on a desktop, what should the monitor be plugged into?
The GPU or the motherboard?

I would head into the BIOS/UEFI console and check to make sure the integrated graphics is completely disabled once you obtain the proper display cable and plug it into your RX 580. Until then, changing the graphics settings via the panel in Display Properties referenced above may be your only option.