[SOLVED] How do I change my hard drive in Dell opiplex 380 SFF.

ruggb

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
The FIRST thing you want to do is to create an image of the old drive. It may be too late with bad sectors. Macrium Reflect Free is my goto program for that.
If it is successful do a verify and create a recovery USB stick.
Remove the old drive and install the new. Boot from USB and restore the image file. DONE!
If you cannot create a good image file then your only option is to replace the drive and reinstall Windows and all your programs, then reconfigure everything - very time consuming. You can then reconnect your old drive and hopefully move all your files to the new drive or get them from a backup.
My recommendation is to create 2 partitions on the new drive and relocate all your files to drive D:, with drive C: containing just the system and program files. That way if you need to reimage the system, your files are not affected on D:. It also makes it quicker to create a system image with Reflect, the file will be much smaller, and you only need to do it when your system changes with more programs added. Then using Syncback free it will be easier to backup your data files which is done more often.