Question How do I change OS Partition Size in Windows 7 ?

dan99t

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
I have installed Windows 7 on a new SSD.
But the OS Partition size is too small.
I have lots of free space on an adjacent partition.
How do I take some space from there and make OS Partition bigger.
I am not an expert so I will appreciate as much detailed instruction as possible.

Thank You

Post a screen shot of Windows Disk Management.

Maybe you can do what you need to do with Disk Management.

Maybe you need to use a third party tool like Minitool Partition Wizard.

Depending on what your screen shot shows.

If the large partition with the extra space is in fact "adjacent" to C, you should be able to do it with Disk Management, using menu choices like "shrink volume"...I think that is what it is called.

Yeah, the adjacent partition has to be immediately right to the OS partition, you shrink it as much as you want more space on the OS partition and then you expand the OS partition to take that space.

This does not work if there is any other partition in between.

I have installed Windows 7 on a new SSD.
But the OS Partition size is too small.
I have lots of free space on an adjacent partition.
How do I take some space from there and make OS Partition bigger.
I am not an expert so I will appreciate as much detailed instruction as possible.

Thank You
Windows have very limited options when it comes to working with C: and system partitions. Doing it from other OS or 3rd party is better option.
https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/gparted_live.html

dan99t

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Yeah, the adjacent partition has to be immediately right to the OS partition, you shrink it as much as you want more space on the OS partition and then you expand the OS partition to take that space.
Yes, it is adjacent to partition right to it.
Unfortunately I am not able to post a screenshot of it as easily as other forums let you do it by command like attach file & i am not an expert to post a link here & I have asked for help here before & no one explained it.
Can you please explain how to post an image here & why such a popular site like this can't make it easy for you to post an image by a command as simple as " attach a file " ?

USAFRet

Titan
This is what we see:
mrLiOOz.jpg

Need to see it without that white overlay with the text in it.

dan99t

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
I really appreciate your help but now I will have to shut the m/c down & boot from the new OS to give you the whole Picture.

Please give me few minutes.

I really appreciate your help.