How do i change RAM setings in bios?

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
HI, i have just build a new pc about a week and a half ago, with the components listed in my sig, but i think my memory is recognized as 533 not 800 (I just get a "quick" info when the pc boots up) and i was wondering how do i check if the right "memory" setings are there? How do i change the memory latency/memory to 800(the memory im using)
Im using the latest bios from asus(I flashed it a week ago, just after I did build it)

btw Im not shoor if this is mem related or not, but I tried to play bf2 the multiplayer demo, and it takes quite a while to load the game, is that normal with the hardware i have? I mean my cpu is way above the recomended, as well as the ram, is that maby because it is recognized as a slower ram? (533 not 800)?

Thank You for any replies.

Killercop

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
Well, in fact the RAM speed isn't SO important as many think. Your RAM speed is probably not the reason to your problems. But I think your harddrive is. Your HDD isn't shown in your sig, what HDD does your rig have?

desolationw

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
dl cpu-z from here.

it is a program which will tell you which cpu, mboard, ram and speed you have and you dont even have to install it!

under 'memory' it will tell you what speed your ram is currently running at.

and yes if your talking about bf2 taking long to load a level then yeah it is annoyingly slow. but the game does start quickly for me.

could you list your graphics card? im just being nosey :lol:

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
lol its in my sig sapphire radeon x850xt didnt want to spend much on it im planing on getin one of the dx10 cards sumer next year or so.) i didnt see a memory option in the bios, i just saw advanced and then the cpu options, i checked it couple times, but didnt notice a thing.

desolationw

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
you sound ashamed to have an x850xt! it is a great card even if an old-gen one. still beats mid-range cards nowadays like the 7600GT but doesn't have all the features newer cards can offer.

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
lol im not ashamed i like the card (it beats teh hell out of my oldie radeon 7500 aiw lol) its just that i actualy wanted to get the 1900xt but after giving it a bit of thought i decided to wait till the dx10 cards come out, I didnt want to spend so much money (that 300/400) on a gpu which will be "getting obsolete" lets say in a year, I mean i prefare to build a system that would last me that 4 years without much upgrading, but i didnt want to "rob a bank" to do so. and i think its beter to wait, lol i have already a game that i would like to play on max setings ...its called project offset, and honestly i think the 1900xt would have some problems handling it :wink: , for now (a year or so) the x850xt will be good , or i might squiz a bit more out of it :wink:

AddictiveHerring

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
the latency settings shoudl be under the northbridge options, the speed settings should be in the jumper free bios options.

The reason your ram is set at 533 is due to the FSB of your chip

I would suggest setting your ram to 667 and then tightening the latencies as much as you can, that should produce a speed increase in windows with minimal hassle.

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
Thx for the help, but wouldnt just seting it up to 800 and latency 5-5-5-12 be fine as well? im not really looking for ocing anything(not yeat, maby in about a year or so) just wanted to set the "parameters" right, thx ill check it out, much aprecieated.

btw i checked the mobo temps and got 48C thats quite hot isnt it? btw which way is the fan blowing air on the cpu? is it blowing itdownwards? or taking the air out? just curious, because since i did set up the new system a lot more air is being "blown" threw the power supply, and its warmer than it used to be)

thx

AddictiveHerring

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
not really, because running 800 mhz ram with an fsb that can't actually even push that kind of speed in 2 channels is a waste, you should try to match em up, and reduce the latency so that it all moves faster. If you have a damn that lets in 4 gallons of water per minute, don't put 8 gallons of water on one side, and wait for it to peter through
put in 4 gallons every minute and raise the pressure so that it goes faster!

lol what a terrible analogy

Mondoman

Splendid
Thx for the help, but wouldnt just seting it up to 800 and latency 5-5-5-12 be fine as well? ...
Yes, this will be your fastest performance. The theory that AH mentioned doesn't fully describe all the relevant aspects, and real-life tests show DDR2-800 to improve performance over DDR2-533 for C2D systems.

btw i checked the mobo temps and got 48C thats quite hot isnt it?
Yes.
btw which way is the fan blowing air on the cpu?
The OEM and similar "flower" hsfs blow air through the heatsink fins down onto the MB.

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
Thank You for the information, btw in regards to the hsf from the cpu i was geting a bit woried that i might be blowing the air upwards, that would be bad, because i have 2 side fans that blow the air onto the cpu, and then it would have caused some issues :wink: , maby tommorow ill try to check the bios settings as suggested (I still have a lot to finish today on the pc, so for today i wont be restarting it yet) I will report on the changes as soon i manage to do so, Thank You all again for the information.

btw would it be suggested to get a new hs for the southbrige? i heard that removing the "cover plate" does help a bit in reducing the temps down, is that true, or would it just be beter to remove the hs apply some as5 and reinsert it with the cover plate, or just get a new hs for it (usually i have temps of 45 48 degrees C in idle, cpu 37 or so(its weird because it was 35 or 32 during the first couple days, but i gues maby the ambient temperature was differenrt as well) im using the pc probe 2 (asus's ) to check it, and i get the cpu RPM as 1231/1259 or so it showes up as red, is this too slow? and the power1 conection (which is connected to one of the fans in the psu's ( i have 2 there) ) shows up as 2500 RPM's is that too low or too high?

thx

AddictiveHerring

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
"Yes, this will be your fastest performance. The theory that AH mentioned doesn't fully describe all the relevant aspects, and real-life tests show DDR2-800 to improve performance over DDR2-533 for C2D systems. "

But Not really from 667, which is what I suggested, not to mention the lowered lat's would have shown improvement, even at 533 and certainly at 667.

I am not suggeting any sort of overclock, the lowering the latencies at a lower speed isn't really overclocking it's more like normalclocking. If you don't want to lower them I would still suggest lowering the speed to 667 for overall stability and just system Karma I guess.

Those mobo temps you mentioned upwards of 40 degrees C are quite high, it might be due to the stress on the northbridge from the ram issue, the thermal paste is also notroiously poor on the asus boards, If it get's much higher I would worry, I wouldn't neccesarily worry right now though.

www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=106563

That is a step by step picture guide on how to remove clean and replace with new thermal paste an asus mobo. This can lower temps by 10 C or more. My p5b premium idles at 24C after completing this process, I don't knwo what the original would have been, but It wasn't 45 C.

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
Thank You for the information I will definitively check it out, just right now i dont have much time to tinker areound with the hardware, maby by the weeks end i might have some time. In regards to the mobo temps it is 48C in idle so i dont even want to check it after gaming or such lol then im shoor it might have gone to the 50's , btw will changing the memory to 667 from its present state reduce the temps(atleast in theory)? just curious, im not so knowligable about RAM persey.

Thank You

AddictiveHerring

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
possible, it depends on if I might be right about it's stress on the NB I think it will lower the chipset temps. At least by a little, also if you haven't updated the bios than the temps you are getting are most likely off.

Mobius

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2002
Just FYI: PC specs in your signature say "I'm a total nutcase and need to be beaten around the head until I go unconscious - please begin now."

Ditch 'em.

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
lol , i checked the advice given that is to change the latency settings iin the northbrige options( i found no such options in the bios)
and in regards to speed setttings, which should be in the jumper free bios oprions, i just saw an [Auto] option and thats all there, maby i didnt configure other things correctly, but I checked all the options again, and did not see anything that was remotely refering to the ram :cry:

AddictiveHerring

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
you have to change the the "auto" setting to like manual under the jumper free bios option and then it unlocks more options lol, sorry I didn't clear that up, I can double check my bios to find out where the lat's are but I am pretty sure it's northbridge, sometimes you have to toggle an option to unlock more options.

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
thx will check that out, lol i thought that there must be some configuring done before to see it, lol but i guess i was just to tired to "think" about it, ill check it tou once more, thx

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
Hi, i managed to change the memory to 800 in the manual settings, but i cant find anyplace in which i can change the latency of the memory, or atleast check what latency it is, where should i look for it?
Thank You

AddictiveHerring

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
Find options concerning the Northbridge, under the "chipset" menu I do believe, and toggle something or other and you will get latency settings.

Also Cpu-z the free program will tell you what your lat's are if you just want to check them.

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
thx will check out the app, i looked for the northbrige in the chipset but i didnt c anything , and most options did swich to only disable, ill check it again, maby i omited something.