[SOLVED] How do I change the SATA "ID" on my motherboard?

Feb 8, 2021
So I just got a 970 evo in my system, and I saw on PCpartpicker that it would disable two slots, but I don't know how to change their ID for lack of a better term.
This is my motherboard:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/b450-gaming-plus-max

Its a MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max, with six sata ports, but I don't know how to rearrange them? I built it with my brother a long time ago so I don't remember how.

If anyone could help, please do!
Maddax

Solution
The SATA ports should be labeled in your motherboard user manual.

You simply move any SATA drives to ports that are not affected.
It is not "ID", but rather actual physical locations.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The wiring that causes this is physical and thus, so is the solution; you need to change where the SATA drives are plugged to ports that aren't in conflict. If SATA port 4 conflicts with an m.2 slot's resources and you theoretically changed the name of SATA port 4 to SATA port ICECREAMSANDWICH, then all that would happen is that now the m.2 slot conflicts with SATA port ICECREAMSANDWICH instead of SATA port 4. But you can't actually do that.

It's likely you're thinking for drive letters which are assignable. The port numbers are describing a physical location. The drive letters are a marker created by Windows.

Feb 8, 2021
Where could I rewire the sata's? I don't know where they are and I cannot find the manual that came with the motherboard. Also it's not the drive lettering, I know how to do that, I just couldn't think of a better term. But physical would work way better haha

USAFRet

Titan
Where could I rewire the sata's? I don't know where they are and I cannot find the manual that came with the motherboard. Also it's not the drive lettering, I know how to do that, I just couldn't think of a better term. But physical would work way better haha
You cannot "rewire" them.

SATA ports 5 and 6 are disabled when using something in the M.2 port.
pg 31 in the (English) user manual shows how they are labeled.
https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7B86v3.1.pdf

Simply don't use #5 & 6.