[SOLVED] How do I check what component is broken?

Dec 9, 2019
Hello, I recently fixed my pc from not event turning on but now I am back to the original problem I had when it turned on
My specks:
EVGA 500W White PSU
XFX RX 580 8gb
R5 2600x
Oloy 16gb(2x8gb) Ram (ive tested other ram and same thing happenes)
Asrock B450 R4.0 MOBO
Team Group 250gb M.2
250gb ADATA SSD

My problem is that whenever I run anything demanding (or just 3d i guess) the screen turn a solid color and the monitor displays no signal. Dont know whats wrong. I tried putting all my setting down in csgo but whenever i go into fulscreen mode on min settings it crashed and turns a certain color. Ive replaced my ram. Could it be my PSU? or GPU? how do i test if my gpu is not working as inteneded. My temps alre always below 70 degrees.

Solution
Don't think you need a 750watt psu. A good quality 550watt would run that fine. Then there's a debate of how high quality that "white" psu is (don't think anyone would recommend it for a gaming pc) ,but just looking at power should it be able to run the pc.

Have the latest bios installed? If no problems occur when being in the bios could you update that,see if it helps.

Use the next bios if not already on there, the two newer bios versions aren't recommended with the cpu you use,

gocPISu.png
I would;

1. download DDU from https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/display_driver_uninstaller.html
  2. download a fresh copy of your RX580 Drivers from https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/radeon-500-series/radeon-rx-500-series/radeon-rx-580
  3. reboot windows into safe mode (explained here: https://support.avira.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002870214-How-do-I-boot-Windows-10-in-Safe-Mode- )

Once in safe mode;
run DDU, remove all drivers for amd video
reboot and let computer do its thing for 5 mins.
right click on new video driver and run as administrator, and install a new fresh copy of your video drivers.

test

mc_spaceman

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
It is my belief that your pc is under-powered. in my recommendation a 750w psu should run everything fine, but an 800/850 would be ideal.

the xfx rx580-8gb requires 325w base. the cpu you have requires aproximately 125w. and all other peripherals add up to be extremely close to the 500w limit of your psu.

now.. add strain of running a demanding game those wattages jump higher as the components need more power to support said demands. under powering components is hard on them and can cause a lot of failures.

e/

as another option, ensure all drivers are up to date, i use "iobit-driver booster" but everyone has their own way of ensuring everything is current. if you find you are having more video crashes after updating the drivers, try to replicate the occurance, and "roll back" the driver to a previous working one. i had to do this with my vega's..

Dec 9, 2019
It is my belief that your pc is under-powered. in my recommendation a 750w psu should run everything fine, but an 800/850 would be ideal.

the xfx rx580-8gb requires 325w base. the cpu you have requires aproximately 125w. and all other peripherals add up to be extremely close to the 500w limit of your psu.

now.. add strain of running a demanding game those wattages jump higher as the components need more power to support said demands. under powering components is hard on them and can cause a lot of failures.

e/

as another option, ensure all drivers are up to date, i use "iobit-driver booster" but everyone has their own way of ensuring everything is current. if you find you are having more video crashes after updating the drivers, try to replicate the occurance, and "roll back" the driver to a previous working one. i had to do this with my vega's..
is there a way I can check how much each of my components is using up?

mc_spaceman

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
is there a way I can check how much each of my components is using up?
to my knowledge there is no such program that measures exactly how much each component is using at any given time. I was merely basing my opinion on requirements of listed components.

on newegg under specifications for this graphics card it states:

Minimum Power Supply Requirement: 500W
XFX Recommended Power Supply: XFX 550W PSU

so.. a 750-850w power supply would more than supply enough power to everything in your system. running the bare minimum is not typically a good thing when it comes to power hungry components. also you typically only want to use 75-80% of of your psu's capacity of power output (to be on the safe side). running a psu at peak output constantly could cause a lot of unneeded strain and speed up failure rate of the psu and other system components.

how old is your graphics card? have you ever taken the shroud and heatsync off of it to clean and put fresh thermal paste? this may also be an idea if it runs at 60*+ for extended periods of time. it would also depend on your skill level with computer components/ general maintenance.

e/ you can also re-build your computer in a "pcpartpicker" list and it should state exactly how much general power usage the system will need under normal load.

this is just on a regular "normal load" not including anything that you didnt list led fans, how many, optical drives, usb components etc. this list is just a general one as i didnt have specific model numbers to base exact components off of.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Y4GNzN

Last edited:

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Don't think you need a 750watt psu. A good quality 550watt would run that fine. Then there's a debate of how high quality that "white" psu is (don't think anyone would recommend it for a gaming pc) ,but just looking at power should it be able to run the pc.

Have the latest bios installed? If no problems occur when being in the bios could you update that,see if it helps.

Use the next bios if not already on there, the two newer bios versions aren't recommended with the cpu you use,

gocPISu.png

Solution
Dec 9, 2019
to my knowledge there is no such program that measures exactly how much each component is using at any given time. I was merely basing my opinion on requirements of listed components.

on newegg under specifications for this graphics card it states:

Minimum Power Supply Requirement: 500W
XFX Recommended Power Supply: XFX 550W PSU

so.. a 750-850w power supply would more than supply enough power to everything in your system. running the bare minimum is not typically a good thing when it comes to power hungry components. also you typically only want to use 75-80% of of your psu's capacity of power output (to be on the safe side). running a psu at peak output constantly could cause a lot of unneeded strain and speed up failure rate of the psu and other system components.

how old is your graphics card? have you ever taken the shroud and heatsync off of it to clean and put fresh thermal paste? this may also be an idea if it runs at 60*+ for extended periods of time. it would also depend on your skill level with computer components/ general maintenance.

e/ you can also re-build your computer in a "pcpartpicker" list and it should state exactly how much general power usage the system will need under normal load.

this is just on a regular "normal load" not including anything that you didnt list led fans, how many, optical drives, usb components etc. this list is just a general one as i didnt have specific model numbers to base exact components off of.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Y4GNzN
Ok,
my gpu is new
I cant really upgrade rn so do you think underclocking my gpu and cpu would work?

Dec 9, 2019

gocPISu.png
Ive got latest bios

Dec 9, 2019
That is the latest one and not recommended for your cpu so if you can flash back to 3.10 would that be best. Saying fixed "somehow" makes me wonder if you did.
Ok.. ill try to go to 3.10. It works much better now and why I said "somehow" is because I changed a lot of things and I dont know what part of it make it work better

Running graphics for gaming drives up the gpu power requirement.
The RX580 is power hungry and a 550w psu is suggested:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

If your RX580 is new and under warranty, I would try to return it as defective and buy a less power hungry unit like a GTX1660.

The only way to test a psu is by replacement with a known good unit.
See if you can't borrow a psu to test with.
Failing that, buy a quality replacement from a place with a good return policy.
Expect to pay a 15% replacement charge.
newegg has a seasonic prime 550w tier 1 unit on sale.
https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-prime-ultra-gold-ssr-550gd2-550w/p/N82E16817151207