[SOLVED] How do I choose a motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2021
Most of the price difference is features. A higher end board might have some fancy headers for specific applications, or extra I/O and ports, thunderbolt, or USB 3.1, or Type C etc...

Also, higher end boards will have better VRM setups. A better VRM may lead to a more stable overclock, or allow the VRM not to get as hot. If you're not pushing a high overclock, this probably won't make a big difference. A mid-range board with heatsinks on the VRM is typically a good bet. Something like the ASRock Z370 Extreme4, for example.

Then, some of it is marketing. The Z370-E isn't really any better than the Extreme4, but usually about $40 more expensive because "RoG"

Last edited:
Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Higher end boards will also have better quality components, a thicker PCB and overall better overclocking. If that's not your thing, then budget boards will have cut down audio solutions, NIC's and even the amount of headers on the board.

You will also need to take into account that not all brands have the same portfolio or series lineup when stacking one board against the other, i.e, the ROG is a brand in itself but the Strix is the budget end of the brand, while the Rampage, Maximus and Crosshair series are the higher tier boards.

What sort of a task are you going to tax the system with?

Note, you copy/pasta'd from here;
View...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Higher end boards will also have better quality components, a thicker PCB and overall better overclocking. If that's not your thing, then budget boards will have cut down audio solutions, NIC's and even the amount of headers on the board.

You will also need to take into account that not all brands have the same portfolio or series lineup when stacking one board against the other, i.e, the ROG is a brand in itself but the Strix is the budget end of the brand, while the Rampage, Maximus and Crosshair series are the higher tier boards.

What sort of a task are you going to tax the system with?

Note, you copy/pasta'd from here;
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/97slgc/how_do_i_choose_a_motherboard/e4akay4/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Plagiarism is a serious offence!!!

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.