How do I clone to another NVME drive in this situation?

Jul 24, 2018
Hi there,

Long time reader, first time poster here.

I recently got a Dell XPS 9570 that's largely been pretty great, except I regret not splurging for a larger SSD. My current 256GB drive is a bit snug, so I would like to upgrade to a newer 500GB SSD. Fortunately, the new Samsung 970 EVOs are pretty cheap. I would like to buy this, clone the contents of my current (NVME) SSD that came with my XPS to this new 970 EVO, and then swap them out so that I don't have to reinstall everything. The problem is that my laptop only has one NVME slot, and I am not aware of NVME to USB adapters, so I believe that I need an intermediate drive (since I don't think I can have both NVME drives hooked up at once). I have an external Samsung T5 500GB SSD that I can connect to my laptop with USB. Can I wipe this external SSD, clone my current SSD to the external SSD, swap out my current internal SSD for the 970 EVO, boot off the cloned external SSD (connected with USB), and then clone from the external SSD to the 970 EVO? Has anyone done something like this before?

My apologies if I have said anything wrong - I confess that I am not super familiar with storage devices. I am open to being talked down to an older non-NVME SSD that I could connect with a USB adapter if you think that is easier. Thank you so much for your help!

Solution
An Image is what you're looking for. Not a 'clone'

You'll need an external drive of sufficient size.
You'll need a USB stick.
Macrium Reflect, and make an Image of the whole drive.
Create a Macrium Rescue USB
Swap the drives
Boot from the Macrium Rescue USB
Tell it where the Image is, and what drive (the new one) you wish to apply that Image to.

USAFRet

Titan
An Image is what you're looking for. Not a 'clone'

You'll need an external drive of sufficient size.
You'll need a USB stick.
Macrium Reflect, and make an Image of the whole drive.
Create a Macrium Rescue USB
Swap the drives
Boot from the Macrium Rescue USB
Tell it where the Image is, and what drive (the new one) you wish to apply that Image to.

Solution