[SOLVED] How do I combine an SSD for caching with a regular HDD ?

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
Iv read articles and even once had my hard drive setup that way but seems iv forgotten how or they changed the software but the article I read on how to is no longer valid? to iv used rapid storage technology wich I believe is the software that's spose to work to turn on ssd caching but couldn't seem to cache my larger drive for games as my Main nvme drive is only 500gb but I do have a spare 120gb ssd drive. I'd like to match with my 2tb drive

Colif

Win 11 Master
its more designed to speed up hdd, its not going to help at all for an NVMe drive
Nvme are 5 times faster than an ssd, if anything caching on it would slow the system down.

It won't help.

what the intel software does is turns the 120gb ssd into a cache drive, it hides it from windows so if C is on hdd (not nvme) it will put the boot files on here.
You have no control over what it caches.

probably doesn't help you need to set PC up as raid first. its a lot of work reinstalling everything just for a cache

Last edited:
Reactions: CountMike

Colif

Win 11 Master
Seems you can swap to RAID without a reinstall
  • Switch to safe boot
  • Reboot into BIOS
  • Change from AHCI to RAID in the BIOS
  • Boot into safe mode
  • Turn off safe mode and reboot normally again

may not need to do anything else.

With 1 TB NVME drives routinely under $100 on sale, I'd skip the whole 'I want to use the 6 year old Intel's RST caching scheme' debacle...; if you need 2 TB, find a pair of 1 TB NVME drives, or a single 2 TB SSD on sale. (former strategy of 2 drives likely at least $50 less expensive)

D

Deleted member 14196

Since it seemed to work with another user when I suggested it: https://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/primo-cache/

Given the product literature, you don't need to mess with BIOS settings or Intel's software or whatever.
Yes this software is excellent and the best cashing software out there. There is nothing better than this program PrimoCache is the best

I have used it in the past and on a license and it is very good

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
sorry this is an old thread I use my storage drive to hold games iv downloaded but arnt in use use I move them to my nvme when actively playing a game(beats redownloading all the time as I have a data limit and 50mb connection) I also have music some video amongst other stuff currently have a totaly full 2tb drive for storage may have to get another 2tb or just get a 4tb since my 2tb is getting old. I have an unused 120gb generic ssd I'd like to use for caching I looked Into primo cache but should I be able to use my ssd as a cache through rst or srt intel? I have it downloaded but it's not an option only wants to support optane wich I don't have. I'm on a strict budget a 70dollar drive is way cheaper then 170plus tax not to mention if I did upgrade I'd want 4tb

Anyways back to my question why can't I use rst from Intel? I have a b365 chipset do I perhaps not have the sata connections plugged in the right spots on the board does it matter? It's simply not an option to use Intel ssd caching iv looked everywhere on the internet the directions are simple but it doesn't come up as an option I'm spose to get an accelerate button withen rst wich I don't get

Also rst is enabled in the bios it has 6sata ports not sure if some like the old days are on an Intel Controllwr and some are on a generic controller but does it matter what ports the sata drives are plugged into have them plugged In 1through 4 Asus b365m tuf motherboard

Has storage spaces so.mehow taken place of ssd caching?

update i got this under the help section of the software im wondering if maybe my chipset just isnt compatable to do disk caching wich wouldnt make since cause previous gen chipsets do work

Cache Device Properties
The Accelerate area is only available if the following requirements are met:
■ Processor: Intel® Core™ i3, Intel® Core™ i5, Intel® Core™ i7, or Intel® Xeon® processor family
■ Operating system: Refer to System Requirements for a list of the supported operating systems.
■ Supported Chipset/Platform Controller Hubs:
• Intel® 200 Series Chipset SKUs: Q270, Z270
• Intel® 7th Generation Core I/O Controller SKUs: Premium U, Premium Y
• Intel® 100/C230 Series Chipset SKUs: HM175, HM170, QM175, QM170, CM238, CM236, H170, Q170, Z170, C236
• Intel® 6th Generation Core I/O Controller SKUs: Premium U, Premium Y
■ BIOS: RAID-Ready system and Accelerate feature bit is set.
■ A solid-state drive with a minimum capacity of 14.9 GB present at boot time connected with either an internal configured SATA port or connected with a PCIe Card.

■ A hard disk or RAID volume (array members must all be hard disks) is eligible for acceleration.
■ No recovery volume is present.

nevermind this was answered in another thread i guess theres no option it was discontinued

Last edited: