[SOLVED] How do I connect 6 channel audio?

unplanned bacon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014
Using an MSI Z97 Gaming 7 and a Logitech Z906 speaker system. Logitech decided not to label the 6 channel ports. They used green, peach and black as the colours but didn't say which does what. The ports on the motherboard are all black and labelled, but without the Logitech end being labelled that's not helpful. Sound is going to the wrong speakers and I can't get front left and right to work.

Solution
neither is better by default. it depends on your situation.

if your onboard audio is greater than the dac inside the z906, analog will be better. if the opposite is true, then optical might be better.

unplanned bacon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014

Because my TV won't play nice with my speakers over SPDIF when I'm using an HDMI source, 6 channel is the way I have my PC hooked up so that my PS4 can connect directly by SPDIF.

My speakers say they accept DTS and Dolby Digital, so I don't know if it's the Linear PCM source causing issues. I did tell the PS4 to bitstream and the TV to use auto (whatever the source is) for a bit when the sound was being sent to the TV first but that didn't fix it.

Which is better, DTS or Dolby Digital? Bitstream or Linear PCM?

pc--(hdmi)-->tv--(optical)-->z906
will not work.

the pc auto recognizes the tv as a stereo only device and limits you to stereo output. it ignores things such as hdmi(arc) connected receivers, optical connected speakers, etc.

PCM or uncompressed audio via hdmi (in case of home theater systems) or analog audio out (in case of the z906 and other speakers) would be better than a dolby digital signal since those are compressed. all optical 5.1 output would be compressed (uncompressed optical is 2.0 max)

unplanned bacon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014

The PS4 and Xbox weren't happy that way either regardless of what I did. Would drop out for a second regularly. Had to remove the TV from the equation and wire direct to the speakers

Jul 3, 2019
pc--(hdmi)-->tv--(optical)-->z906
will not work.

the pc auto recognizes the tv as a stereo only device and limits you to stereo output. it ignores things such as hdmi(arc) connected receivers, optical connected speakers, etc.

PCM or uncompressed audio via hdmi (in case of home theater systems) or analog audio out (in case of the z906 and other speakers) would be better than a dolby digital signal since those are compressed. all optical 5.1 output would be compressed (uncompressed optical is 2.0 max)
Hello,i Have Philips 55PUS7304 connected with Logitech z906 via optical cable.When I watch movie on tv everything is fine,TV send to console uncompressed 5.1 sound DD or DTS.I have connected also xbox with TV via HDMI,xbox also send uncompressed DTS 5.1 sound,control on console "Decode" lights.
When i connect pc with TV i get only stereo sound,nothing DD or DTS.What i need if i want uncompressed DD also from pc