[SOLVED] How do I convert ram to VRAM

Dec 22, 2019
So I have this issue that I recently brought 32gb ram for my pc upgrading from 16gb I have played the same games and not seem a difference in frames at all I am really annoyed and confused I have enough power and I have a rx 560 sure not the best card but it’s alright I can barley get 100fps on competitive settings on fortnite anyone have any ideas for how I can get more frames or how I can convert RAM to VRAM I have a b450 tomahawk msi and Ryzen 7 2700x 2nd gen

If anyone has any ideas that would be amazing thanks so much :)

Solution
Vram capacity matters more when dealing with increased resolutions/details, but only if the gpu's processor is strong enough otherwise fps will tank.

The cpu also needs to be strong enough to feed the gpu x amount of fps to render. Your cpu is strong enough to handle faster cards, ie RX 5700 quite easily, it'll be a night and day difference compared to the 560.

Click for comparisons.
Rx 560 comparison in 1080p ~ epic settings.

1080p.png

Rx 5700 comparison in 1440p epic. More than doubles 560 in 1440p. Compare the above picture with 5700's relative performance with some of the card's its close to.
Fortnite.png

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
You can't "convert" RAM into VRAM. Whether the problem is insufficient VRAM or simply insufficient processing power of an entry-level GPU, the only remedy is a new GPU.

The best you can do is make sure all the texture settings are at the lowest. Whatever FPS you get at this point is all the FPS you will get with this GPU.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Vram capacity matters more when dealing with increased resolutions/details, but only if the gpu's processor is strong enough otherwise fps will tank.

The cpu also needs to be strong enough to feed the gpu x amount of fps to render. Your cpu is strong enough to handle faster cards, ie RX 5700 quite easily, it'll be a night and day difference compared to the 560.

Click for comparisons.

1080p.png

Rx 5700 comparison in 1440p epic. More than doubles 560 in 1440p. Compare the above picture with 5700's relative performance with some of the card's its close to.
Fortnite.png

16GB was enough but doesn't hurt to have more. Modern games are starting to perform better with more. What speed is your ram? 3000+? Ryzen does like fast ram and is performance to be had. 3000~3200 is a good speed.

Last edited:
Solution

johnsoner13

Respectable
Your GPU is just underpowered, you have a very solid CPU and 16 gb of ram was enough, it would've been a wiser decision to spend money on a GPU upgrade instead of another 16 gb of ram, where you most likely won't even notice a difference in framerates because of your GPU.

Dec 22, 2019

Click for comparisons.

1080p.png

Fortnite.png

16GB was enough but doesn't hurt to have more. Modern games are starting to perform better with more. What speed is your ram? 3000+? Ryzen does like fast ram and is performance to be had. 3000~3200 is a good speed.
I have 2666mhz but I will definitely sell my gpu and get to the rx 5700 or rx 5700 xt

Thanks so much guys

Dec 22, 2019
Your GPU is just underpowered, you have a very solid CPU and 16 gb of ram was enough, it would've been a wiser decision to spend money on a GPU upgrade instead of another 16 gb of ram, where you most likely won't even notice a difference in framerates because of your GPU.
I will keep the 32 because it is good to have will sell the 16gb and buy a better gpu thanks so much

Dec 22, 2019
I have 144hz monitor and it has free sync so will get a much more powerful and graphics card and keep 32gb ram as it is so good to have just for streaming and everything else

boju

Titan
Ambassador
How much RAM are you actually using? Having excess RAM really does not do any good, if anything it places more stress on the integrated memory controller (theoretically) placing more load on the CPU.

Populating all dimm slots could, but, wouldn't have thought excess memory would cause potential stress, that's news to me.

@PoorLittleDefult123 faster memory would help a lot, improving the cpu's performance maintaining a higher fps level. Keep to two sticks, afaik, Ryzen with 4x sticks can run into a frequency wall hitting around 2933.