How do I correct the bottlenecked issue with external USB 3.1 devices?

erniecolorado1

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
This has been an ongoing issue for a very long time overall now. I have had three different computers, with either USB 3.0 or now my new Maingear Windows 10 Pro computer that has USB 3.1, type C, the fastest USB connection thus far at this point that I am aware of. I just bought a Western Digital My Passport USB 3.1 Type C (512 mb/s) external drive.

I cannot understand why I am not getting the optimized speeds with this or other known USB 3 and 3.1 flash drives. This boggles my mind. I and others are having the same issues no matter what devices or computers we have with USB 3.1 type A or C. I am only getting 145 mb/s MAX to or from the external drive. I even have an internal Samsung 250 GB SSD drive with average speeds of 550 mb/s!!!

So there is something bottlenecking, and I seem to get the quiet treatment whenever I talk to flash drive and storage companies. There is some strange issue that can be corrected, but for some reason is being withheld or hidden, and I want to know why. I talked to Western Digital and they do say I should be getting drive speeds as fast as the external devices rate at. And in this case 512 MB/S! Even the USB 3.0 flash drive was getting 45 mb/s (although those are supposed to even be 150 mb/s, still slower even for those usb flash drives than rated and expected), so this SSD drive at the USB 3.1, type C, Gen 2 connection should be MUCH faster!

I have done countless research on this issue and cannot seem to find the solution. I even went to the properties of the drive and selected "Better Performance" In device manager for this particular external SSD USB 3.1 Type C WD drive. Still NOTHING made it better. I have literally tried everything. Can someone who has dealt with this very issue tell me what settings, whether BIOS or otherwise I can do to fix this issue? All my hardware drivers and Windows software are up to date. Below is my computer configuration for you review:

hassis: VYBE Compact Mid-Tower Case

Motherboard: MSI Z270 SLI PLUS with Integrated Wireless AC

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 7700k 4.2GHz/4.5GHz Turbo QUAD Core CPU w/ Hyperthreading Turbo 8MB L3 Cache

Processor Cooling: Epic 240 Cooler from Epic 120

Enhanced Thermal Interface Material: MAINGEAR EPIC T1000 Engineered Phase Change Thermal Interface Material

MAINGEAR Redline Overclocking Service: Intel® Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking

Memory: 32GB HyperX FURY DDR4- 2666 (4x8GB)

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 with G-Sync

Power Supply: 750W EVGA® SuperNOVA 80 Plus Gold Certified PSU

Intel Optane: 16GB Intel Optane M.2 Storage Drive Accelerator

Operating System Drive: [SSD] 250GB Samsung® 850 EVO [520MB/s Sequential Reads]

Audio: On Board High Definition Audio

Ethernet Adapter: On-board Gigabit Ethernet

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional - 64-bit - OEM

Security Software: Norton Internet Security 360

Solution
hooking up a spinning drive only capable of sustained 150-200 MB/sec transfers due to the spinning drives inherent limitations will not really see a great speed bump when connecting one to a USB 3.0 or 3.1 interface...; very small files would see a boost in transfer speeds, but, sustained....you would be limited to 120 MB sec, if lucky, especially if that is a small 5400 RMP drive internally....

think of it as hooking up a CD ROM to a USB 3.1 interface....a CD only spins so fast, and, is still slow at the end of the day....

(Likewise, many folks seem to think the SATA3 spec magically allows their internal spinning drives to sustain 750 MB/sec transfers (6 GB/sec); ultimately, even the 7200 rpm drives peak out at sustained 180-200...
hooking up a spinning drive only capable of sustained 150-200 MB/sec transfers due to the spinning drives inherent limitations will not really see a great speed bump when connecting one to a USB 3.0 or 3.1 interface...; very small files would see a boost in transfer speeds, but, sustained....you would be limited to 120 MB sec, if lucky, especially if that is a small 5400 RMP drive internally....

think of it as hooking up a CD ROM to a USB 3.1 interface....a CD only spins so fast, and, is still slow at the end of the day....

(Likewise, many folks seem to think the SATA3 spec magically allows their internal spinning drives to sustain 750 MB/sec transfers (6 GB/sec); ultimately, even the 7200 rpm drives peak out at sustained 180-200 MB/sec reads and writes...)

Solution