[SOLVED] How do I create a system or user variable that allows me to just type the folder name into Windows Explorer to get to the folder?

seefizzle

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
What I'm looking to do is create either a system variable, user variable, or path entry that allows me to just type in the name of the folder into the address bar of Windows Explorer to get to the folder I want to go to. I should note that the folder in question is on the E: drive not the C: drive, I'm not sure if this makes a difference or not.

I've experimented with this, and if I create the PATH entry, and I make a variable, it works on some level. I can enter %myfolder% into the address bar and it goes right to the folder. Call me lazy, but I literally just don't want to type in the % signs. I just want to type myfolder and hit enter. I tried a bunch of combinations, and I can't get it to work in any other way than with the % signs. I THINK this is actually possible, because a program I use did this. The program is called Sync, it's similar to dropbox. If I type the word Sync into the address bar, without any % signs it works just fine. I don't know what Sync did to make this work, but I want my folder to do the same thing.

My reasoning, is that I access this folder literally hundreds of times per day. I do not want to have to use the mouse at all. I just want to hit Windows key + E, Alt + D, type the 4 letter folder name and hit enter. It would be literally the easiest way to get into that folder for me.

I would also potentially be open to using maybe some freeware that will keyboard shortcut my way into this folder.

Any advice?

Solution
I would think some scripting in autohotkey would do this
What I'm looking to do is create either a system variable, user variable, or path entry that allows me to just type in the name of the folder into the address bar of Windows Explorer to get to the folder I want to go to. I should note that the folder in question is on the E: drive not the C: drive, I'm not sure if this makes a difference or not.

I've experimented with this, and if I create the PATH entry, and I make a variable, it works on some level. I can enter %myfolder% into the address bar and it goes right to the folder. Call me lazy, but I literally just don't want to type in the % signs. I just want to type myfolder and hit enter. I tried a bunch of combinations, and I can't get it to work in any other way than with the % signs. I THINK this is actually possible, because a program I use did this. The program is called Sync, it's similar to dropbox. If I type the word Sync into the address bar, without any % signs it works just fine. I don't know what Sync did to make this work, but I want my folder to do the same thing.

My reasoning, is that I access this folder literally hundreds of times per day. I do not want to have to use the mouse at all. I just want to hit Windows key + E, Alt + D, type the 4 letter folder name and hit enter. It would be literally the easiest way to get into that folder for me.

I would also potentially be open to using maybe some freeware that will keyboard shortcut my way into this folder.

Any advice?

Typing in the program in search and then having it run works due to how .exe files, search and paths work. The Program Files list is in the path, if you try to run a program or a file, it will first automatically scan those path folders to find it and run it. If not, you will see a "file can't be found" error.