Question How do I deal with high temperatures, and how do I customize the fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

monere

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2012
Hi,

First of all, I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong sub-forum, but I am touching a few different topics in this thread so I'm not sure where to post this, but if you want me to delete it and post it in another sub-forum I'll be happy to comply, just let me know :)

Now, here's the thing...

I just installed a game and not even 1 minute after loading it the GPU's temperature instantly rise to 90 degrees Celsius, and the CPU's temperature instantly rise to 75 degrees Celsius, and they both stay there... at least for the 10-15 minutes that I played the game. And this worries me because the plexiglass sidepanel almost burns when I touch it and I'm afraid I might melt the wires or even damage the CPU or something.

1. So, my 1st question is: is it normal for the GPU and CPU to have such high temperatures for sustained periods of time? Or do I need more / better cooling?

Currently, I am using 2 Arctic AC P12 (120mm) fans as exhaust (one in the rear, one at the top of the case), and 1 Arcitc AC P12 (120mm) fan as intake, mounted on the front panel, with another fan (Scythe Kaze Flex Square 140mm) right below the 120mm one. But none of these fans are configured in BIOS because I don't know how to configure them, which brings me to question 2:

2. Can someone offer a tip or two on what the best configuration is for the setup of my fans? Like, I don't know how to customize the fan curves in BIOS, more specifically I don't know what RPMs each one of the 4 fans should have for which temperatures?

Also, something else that I forgot to mention and which is probably relevant is that the 2 exhaust fans are both connected to header 1 on the motherboard, while the 120 mm fan on the front panel being connected to header 4, and the 140 mm fan being connected to header 2.

The point is... the 2 exhaust fans (rear + top) are daisy chained and connected to header 1, while the 2 intake fans are connected separately to a different header each. I thought this might matter somehow...

So yeah, I would love to play games but I'm dreading even loading up the games because the temperatures instantly rise to 90 and 75 degrees. respectively and I'm afraid I might fry something inside of the computer.

Please let me know what I can do about it, but please don't recommend to install more fans because - although I do have spare fans to install - I don't have any more room in my mATX case (Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L).

Thanks!

Are these temps a new development?? Or a long term issue?

What CPU? 75 degrees might be totally normal given the circumstances. They are designed to run indefinitely at higher than that.

What motherboard?

What GPU?

Fan management normally takes some time and experimentation.

Have you at least located the area within the BIOS where fan control is shown? Nothing wrong with experimentation there.

monere

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2012
Are these temps a new development?? Or a long term issue?
they're new, I just built my 1st computer ever a few days ago and today was the 1st day that I installed and tried playing games on it, so it is possible that I've not configured / I've misconfigured something...

What CPU? 75 degrees might be totally normal given the circumstances. They are designed to run indefinitely at higher than that.

What motherboard?

What GPU?

Oh, yeah I should have mentioned the components, my bad...

CPU... Ryzen 5600... I just checked AMD's page for this CPU and it says that maximum temperature is 90 degrees, although I will admit that I have no idea what happens if / when the CPU reaches 90 degrees but I don't think I want to find out...

Motheboard... AsRock B550M Steel Legend
GPU... XFX Radeon RX 570 RS, 8GB GDDR5, 256-bit

Fan management normally takes some time and experimentation.
hmm, OK, I'll try experimenting then. But do you have a "best practices" or "failsafe" type of recommendations? I'm pretty panicky by nature and I imagine all sorts of negative scenarios like fans spinning so fast that they hit the casing and break, or that the temperatures will go so high for 10-20 seconds that the entire system will crash / shutdown... What if I'm properly immersed into the game and fail to check the temps periodically and something catches fire or the components get damaged? I genuinely fear such a scenario knowing how easily immersed I am into the games that I like playing. And with the headphones on I won't hear or see anything else besides my character hacking and slashing mobs :(

monere

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2012
Have you at least located the area within the BIOS where fan control is shown? Nothing wrong with experimentation there.
Yes, I know where both Fan Tastic and Fan Tuning are (they're both under the same tab actually, I think it's called Advanced)

Are you using the stock CPU cooler? Probably a Wraith.

I'd guess that CPU will start throttling itself at 90, but I'm not an AMD authority. That would be by design.

Are you wedded to that Wraith cooler? You may have to choose between continued anxiety or replacing the cooler....if you can't simply decide to not worry so much.

Play with those fan curves in the BIOS...while at idle, while gaming, and while doing something else. So you get a baseline of what might drive temps to 90 and whether your fan manipulation can do much about that.

monere

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2012
Are you using the stock CPU cooler? Probably a Wraith.

I'd guess that CPU will start throttling itself at 90, but I'm not an AMD authority. That would be by design.

Are you wedded to that Wraith cooler? You may have to choose between continued anxiety or replacing the cooler....if you can't simply decide to not worry so much.

Play with those fan curves in the BIOS...while at idle, while gaming, and while doing something else. So you get a baseline of what might drive temps to 90 and whether your fan manipulation can do much about that.
yeah, I am using the stock cooler, and I did think about replacing it because I've read that this cooler is not ideal for gaming. But I thought of giving it a try first, I'd like to see if I can make it work and if I can't, I will replace it...

Regarding the temps, can you at least tell me around which temperature you would enable 100% RPM for your fans? I've heard mixed opinions on this, some say that at 75 degrees is ideal, while others are saying that at 10 degrees less than the maximum temperature is ideal (which, for my CPU would be 80 degrees). What's your thought on this?

yeah, I am using the stock cooler, and I did think about replacing it because I've read that this cooler is not ideal for gaming. But I thought of giving it a try first, I'd like to see if I can make it work and if I can't, I will replace it...

Regarding the temps, can you at least tell me around which temperature you would enable 100% RPM for your fans? I've heard mixed opinions on this, some say that at 75 degrees is ideal, while others are saying that at 10 degrees less than the maximum temperature is ideal (which, for my CPU would be 80 degrees). What's your thought on this?

I don't see in your first post at what percentage fan speed you were using when temps were CPU 75 and GPU 90.

Test.....run them all at 100 percent while doing your standard tasks (gaming??).

Can you live with the resultant noise?

Can you live with the resultant temps?

If no to either of those questions, you are a candidate for some other cooler or better fans or both. The cooler would be the first thing I'd consider replacing. You can do a pretty good job for 50 dollars or so.

I don't have a temp recommendation. You'll get answers all over the map and why would you choose answer A over answer B? If you are worried and your current setup can't drive temps down enough (for you personally), change coolers.

Reactions: monere

monere

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2012
I don't see in your first post at what percentage fan speed you were using when temps were CPU 75 and GPU 90.
um... good question... How do I check this?? Because I'd need to be playing and be inside of the BIOS at the same time to see this, no?

But regardless, all I can say is that I've not customized a single fan anywhere yet, I'm just using my computer with the BIOS's defaults (for the fans I mean, otherwise I did customize the BIOS)

Test.....run them all at 100 percent while doing your standard tasks (gaming??).
Sounds like a plan... But should I also run the exhaust fans at 100%, or just the CPU and intake ones?

Can you live with the resultant noise?

Can you live with the resultant temps?
Hmm... the noise is OK, the temperatures, however.... I don't think I can live with them :)

If no to either of those questions, you are a candidate for some other cooler or better fans or both. The cooler would be the first thing I'd consider replacing. You can do a pretty good job for 50 dollars or so.
yeah, I might actually get one in January (no money until then with the holiday and stuff...)

I don't have a temp recommendation. You'll get answers all over the map and why would you choose answer A over answer B? If you are worried and your current setup can't drive temps down enough (for you personally), change coolers.
yeah, but the GPU has no cooler, that's the problem :)

Anyway, thanks for the tips, I'll do some testing over the coming days and see if I can lower these down somehow.

Cheers!

i would first try running the system with case dust filters removed and the clear side panel removed.
if temperatures drop significantly then there is not enough air flowing throughout the case to properly cool anything.

fan curves i usually set around;
lowest point: ~30-40% @ 30°,
mid point(s): ~60-70% @ 50-60°,
highest point: ~80-90% @75°
the GPU has no cooler
you can purchase custom shrouds with bigger more powerful fans or liquid coolers to install.
How do I check this?? Because I'd need to be playing and be inside of the BIOS at the same time to see this, no?
install and run Afterburner + RTSS.

here you can setup a custom OSD to run while gaming so that you can monitor all component statistics.

while also testing different fan profiles(+) for your GPU.

um... good question... How do I check this?? Because I'd need to be playing and be inside of the BIOS at the same time to see this, no?

No.

There are several free applications that can run in the background to track temps while you are gaming. They generally take readings directly from the BIOS.

HWInfo is quite detailed....it will report fan speeds; CPU speed for each core, drive temps, motherboard temps; drive health; watts used; voltages, and much more.

You can just run it in "sensor" mode and let it sit down on your taskbar while you do your normal stuff.

If you start a gaming session at noon and shut down at 2 pm, it will show you minimums and maximums reached during those 2 hours.

Reactions: monere
Status
Not open for further replies.