How do I disable Secure Boot in my new Asus Model M32BF with Windows 8.1?

perzaklie

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
I just bought an Asus M32BF desktop with Windows 8.1. My goal is to replace Windows 8.1 with Ubuntu. I cannot get the machine to boot from an Ubuntu 15.04 DVD or USB stick. I created the USB with LiLo. I burned the ISO with ImgBurn. I can find no option to disable Secure Boot. I chatted with Asus support and they provide little help, telling me to select the tab to enable Legacy boot.

Here is their response: Under your Boot tab there should be an option to enable Legacy boot. If you are not seeing this option please enable advanced mode. We do not have any instructions for changing these settings because we do not provide support for modification of the operating system.
I’m sorry for the inconvenience.

There is no such option listed in Advanced mode. Can anyone help?

Solution
Ubuntu is capable of booting with secure mode as well. Maybe it is just the boot priorities not set correctly.

The asus manual for that PC is rather bare, no information on the BIOS/UEFI/secureboot. Surely there is a way to enable legacy mode or disable secure boot, you probably just need to dig around a bit more. Don't own a ASUS pc or motherboard so cannot comment further.
Ubuntu is capable of booting with secure mode as well. Maybe it is just the boot priorities not set correctly.

The asus manual for that PC is rather bare, no information on the BIOS/UEFI/secureboot. Surely there is a way to enable legacy mode or disable secure boot, you probably just need to dig around a bit more. Don't own a ASUS pc or motherboard so cannot comment further.

Solution