How do I dual boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Callsign Zulu

Reputable
Sep 13, 2015
So I was wondering if someone could send me in the right direction. I am a gamer and an aspiring coder in python, ruby, PHP, java and whatnot so I want a new computer. So I decided to build 1 since it is cheaper and I will get exactly what I want, but I was so confused on what operating system to get since, gaming is mainly windows and Linux is awesome for coding and messing about. So I found duel booting but idk how to do it. Ik you must partition your hard drives but I have 3 (2 1TB western digitals and 1 250GB SSD for booting) Anyways any links to questions like this or some videos would be cool. Sorry if someone already asked this.

Solution

Right. You have to assign some RAM and CPU to the VM. But given sufficient RAM, it is generally no problem.
For instance, I have 16GB RAM, and a LinuxMint VM running pretty much all the time. 4GB...

Slashgeek

Admirable
You do not need to partition your drives for dual booting if you have multiple hard drives. Simply install Windows 10 first on the SSD, then install Linux after on a second hard drive (ALWAYS with Windows 10 first). However, if you want both OSes to have the lightning-fast boot times of an SSD, you should partition the SSD into two, and install Windows 10 on one partition and Linux on the other.

Once you have installed both operating systems, you can use the Linux bootloader to enter the Windows bootloader.

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
for duel booting, you need two guys and each gets one boot or shoe and you do a gentelmanly stance and you say "en garde!" and you start dueling

for dual booting, install Windows first, and then install Linux. L will usually recognize W, and there's guides on how to partition it. usually you'd take one hard drive, cut it in half on a bandsaw, allocate part 1 to windows and let linux run wild on part 2.

USAFRet

Titan

:pt1cable:

Callsign Zulu

Reputable
Sep 13, 2015

Yeah I know, but for that you have to separate your resources to run 2 operating systems at once, which gets laggy to an extent. I mean I don't know if I'm wrong, so correct me as you wish, but when u duel boot you run with all of your resources (Aside from splitting hard drives, but I have 1TB for each). Anyways I don't care about doing it but is there any draw backs aside from the drive partitioning?

Callsign Zulu

Reputable
Sep 13, 2015

OMG BEST ANSWER

USAFRet

Titan

Right. You have to assign some RAM and CPU to the VM. But given sufficient RAM, it is generally no problem.
For instance, I have 16GB RAM, and a LinuxMint VM running pretty much all the time. 4GB devoted to that.
The rest of the system (Win 8.1 Pro) runs just fine.
When I want to do anything in the LinuxMint VM, no reboot needed. If it is already running, just bring it up from its minimized state. If it isn't, just start it up.

Also, the VM concept allows for a good development environment.
A webserver running, and at the same time a client or two to connect to it. See exactly how things run from the user side.
2 or 3 VM's at the same time, as well as the host system.

But a dual boot can be good as well. Whichever meets your needs. Both ways would work.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.