Question How do I enable 4k and sound on my Vizio TV? (PC HDMI connection) ? [SOLVED]

Apr 2, 2023
Monitor: Vizio V655-J04
PC: GTX 980ti, Intel core i7-6700k
Connection: HDMI port into HDMI 1 on tv

Problem 1: No sound on HDMI input
Problem 2: No option to change to 4k resolution in NVIDIA control panel settings.

There is sound working on the TV because it works in the smartcast app input but not on the hdmi 1 input.
I've also tried different hdmi ports and they all have the same issue. I also know the HDMI cable works because I was just using it yesterday on a similar 4k TV and had no issues with it.
I've tried factory resetting the TV and disconnection and reconnecting the hdmi cable.
I checked the device manager and see that the TV could be set as an output but it's greyed out and can't be selected as the default audio output for the pc. I believe this may be the fix but I don't know how to enable it.
Any help is appreciated.

[EDIT] Problem has been solved.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Use DDU to uninstall your all of your GPU drivers, then manually reinstall with the latest sourced from Nvidia's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

check if the TV sound/audio input is set to HDMI and not others like spdif, optical, coax or similar.
Which resolution and refresh rate did you select? Use the windows controls to set it to 2160p.
Install the latest nvidia drivers for your card from nvidia.com

Apr 2, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Use DDU to uninstall your all of your GPU drivers, then manually reinstall with the latest sourced from Nvidia's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

I tried uninstalling with DDU and reinstalled with GeForce experience, but it did not fix anything.

Apr 2, 2023
check if the TV sound/audio input is set to HDMI and not others like spdif, optical, coax or similar.
Which resolution and refresh rate did you select? Use the windows controls to set it to 2160p.
Install the latest nvidia drivers for your card from nvidia.com

I have the latest NVIDIA drivers.
I'm using 1920x1080p 60 Hz refresh rate.
When I try using windows controls to change the resolution it only goes up to 1920x1080p in the dropdown menu. Can't select 4k it's not even an option, but the TV is 4k.
Also how do I set the TV sound/audio input to HDMI? It's not showing up anywhere in task manager.