Question How do I enable M.2 as bootable drive on MSI B550 gaming plus

Status
Not open for further replies.

AudoJudo

Reputable
Jul 11, 2020
I have a MSi B550 gaming plus motherboard with a 500GB M.2, how do i enable my m.2 as a bootable drive for me to install windows on it. The motherboard detects it but i can't select it as a bootable drive nor is it showing up as a option. Just showing the flash drive with windows. Please help.

for M2 to be bootable, there are few things required
  1. storage boot option needs to be UEFI only,
    you can either disable CSM compatibility mode, but if you get black screen, keep CSM enabled, but switch storage to UEFI under CSM settings
  2. drive needs to have GPT partition, windows would tell you when selecting disk that drive cant be used if its in MBR partition scheme
  3. if its windows 7/8, you will need to add NVME driver during installation, otherwise drive wont show up in drive list, win10 has NVME driver already
if there is no operating system installed on that drive, than UEFI wont allow you to boot from it, this is normal
boot from flash drive to install windows, once installed, bios would show then windows boot manager as a boot option on your drive

Reactions: AudoJudo

AudoJudo

Reputable
Jul 11, 2020
for M2 to be bootable, there are few things required
  1. storage boot option needs to be UEFI only,
    you can either disable CSM compatibility mode, but if you get black screen, keep CSM enabled, but switch storage to UEFI under CSM settings
  2. drive needs to have GPT partition, windows would tell you when selecting disk that drive cant be used if its in MBR partition scheme
  3. if its windows 7/8, you will need to add NVME driver during installation, otherwise drive wont show up in drive list, win10 has NVME driver already
if there is no operating system installed on that drive, than UEFI wont allow you to boot from it, this is normal
boot from flash drive to install windows, once installed, bios would show then windows boot manager as a boot option on your drive

Thank you thank you. If you have time can you check my other Post I need help with.

Status
Not open for further replies.