How do I erase a secondary SSD drive?

i_am_jim

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
I need to securely erase a Samsung SSD drive so I can sell it.

All the utilities I've found that do this aren't free and the cost would make it not worthwhile to sell the drive.

Samsung's Magician software provides a secure erase feature but it appears to only erase the primary (C) drive. I certainly don't want to erase my Windows 10.

Any suggestions?

Solution
You can use Samsung Magician software to create a Secure Erase boot disk for your secondary drive and boot of that then wipe it, it will wipe your encryption keys for that drive rendering all the data inaccessible.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/support-software/Samsung-Secure-Erase-949/
You can use Samsung Magician software to create a Secure Erase boot disk for your secondary drive and boot of that then wipe it, it will wipe your encryption keys for that drive rendering all the data inaccessible.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/support-software/Samsung-Secure-Erase-949/

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

Either USB or DVD will work.
Once created, power OFF.
Disconnect ALL other drives except the one you want wiped.
Power up, and boot from the Secure Erase thing you made.
Wipe it.

I say "disconnect ALL other drives" because we don't want you coming back with an "oops"

USAFRet

Titan

Secure Erase, from Samsung, on the correct drive...did nothing?
Something is wrong in your procedures.

i_am_jim

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
I don't see how that's possible. Each step went logically. I booted to the thumb drive (BTW it would not create a disk), I selected the drive I want to erase, it gave more warnings (2 more I think) then it said it had completed.

i_am_jim

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
Just for you, my love. I did it again and took a picture.

6rn69t.jpg

USAFRet

Titan
And the other drive still has its data as well?
This is why I recommended to have only the one drive connected...to prevent any confusion.

Another option to wipe that drive is the clean function in the commandline or powershell.

But I cannot visualize why Secure Erase failed.

i_am_jim

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008

The other SSD drive is my Windows 10 drive. I could not be posting here if it had been erased.

This is why I recommended to have only the one drive connected...to prevent any confusion
It is far too complicated to disconnect my Windows drive. There was no confusion. As explained, my other SSD drive is my Windows drive and it is 500GB.

Another option to wipe that drive is the clean function in the commandline or powershell.
Do you mean the Windows DiskPart argument? It's been a while since I've done this sort of thing but last time, I remember just writing 0s isn't secure.

USAFRet

Titan

And after the clean command...nothing is left of "you".

I'm still curious as to how and why Secure Erase failed.

i_am_jim

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
I spoke to Samsung tech support. It wasn't a lot of help. He said try booting in Legacy mode. My MSI motherboard doesn't have a Legacy mode per se. I only has a "UEFI-Legacy" mode which is what I'm using. I asked "what if that doesn't work" He didn't have an answer.

timmoseus

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016

I did not see that. Good eye. Thank you. I normally run it off Hiren's, but I have used it on SSDs in the past. And lots of them. I refurbish computers for a living and have never had a problem wiping SSDs with Dban, and re-imaging them after. I will have to look more into this.