How do I figure out what's causing my computer to crash?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

imail724

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
I have been having an issue for a while where my computer would completely freeze up and the monitor would go black, but the computer would still be running, leaving me with no option but to hold in the power button. Back in august I bought a graphics card and started having a similar issue except the screen wouldn't go black it would just remain on whatever screen I was on, completely unresponsive. Yesterday I took the graphics card out and went back to on-board graphics and low and behold, screen blacks-out again. I have run memtest and hdtest in the past and both have passed. Is this a motherboard issue?

OS - Windows 7 x64
CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor
Video Card - MSI R7770-PMD1GD5 Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready
MotherBoard - GIGABYTE GA-880GMA-USB3 AM3+ AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD
Power Supply - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series 550W
RAM - 8 gb G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM

Does anyone have any experience with this motherboard? I see it is now discontinued on newegg and only has 86 reviews.

Edit: I just found out I don't have the latest BIOS installed, could that cause issues such as this or is that irrelevant?

Solution
D
I'm not sure why they dropped it. Maybe just marketing and the introduction of the cheaper CX line. I never heard bad things about it or anything. Generally you should replace a power supply after 5-7 years though. I have an old 750TX myself. One of the first gen ones from 2007 I think. I am doing some upgrades soon and that is on the list. I'm not really worried about it having some capacitor aging though as I bought a 750w unit to Sli with and never did so I'm way overpowered.

It would be worth trying to borrow one if you can. A random error thing can be PSU related.

Try clearing CMOS. It might help.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
No reason not to test the power supply, but I still guess mobo. Could always test with heavyload like I suggested before. But yeah, problems like that always kinda suck because it can be difficult to track down intermittent or flaky problems rather than just non-working parts.

imail724

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Guess its worth popping back in here to say I've had the new PSU installed for probably close to 3 months now and have not had any issues since. So it seems the PSU was the issue (although with my luck it will freeze right after posting this). Thanks to everyone in this thread for their help in figuring this issue out.

D

Deleted member 217926

Great man! Glad it's working for you. Once we ruled out everything else it pretty much had to be the PSU. Glad we could help :)