How do I find my Windows 8 key from an ASUS S200E Laptop?

Pakito99

Reputable
Sep 6, 2014
Hi everyone!

I bought an ASUS S200E laptop a two weeks ago which came with win 8.1 installed but on the back has the Win8 sticker, so I assume that the original win version that the laptop came from factory is win8.

Anyway, I wanted to perform a fresh install of windows 8 but apparently win8 iso is not available anymore to download on microsoft website. (After a looking on microsoft forums for a while i managed to find a link that goes directly to win8 iso download, but the first thing that the setup asks is your product key in order to start the download).

After that I tried with the win 8.1 iso from the microsoft website, and still the same, asks from product key.

I found a program that finds your product key (Produkey I think) but the key that was found doesn't work.

I don't know nothing about this laptop's history but:

From what I saw on the forums windows doesn't asks for your product key because that is stored in the bios.
Could the key be erased from BIOS or used on another laptop?
Or is it possible that the laptop come from factory without an OS? ( but has sticker on the back)

Anyone knows anything that might work?

Many thanks!

If you had Windows 8, and you are trying to install 8.1, it won't work. You need to try and get Windows 8. You can also try and contact ASUS for installation media. The key is stored into the motherboard. There is a software that starts with a "B" that gives you your key (along with other software. Give me about 5mins.

USAFRet

Titan
Look in the laptop and see if the original Factory Reset partition still exists.
If so, there should be a function for you to create a DVD, which will bring it back to out of the store condition.

If that exists....DO THAT. Make that DVD.
Then make a copy of that for when you lose the original.

For 8.1 and earlier systems, it was required that the manufacturer give you either the physical DVD, or the functionality to create that.

If it does NOT exist, contact Asus. They will probably sell you one for a small sum.

Pakito99

Reputable
Sep 6, 2014
Thank you for your help. I'll try this program in a minute.

When I bought the laptop it came with win8.1, I was very slow, and the windows updates wasn't working, needed a fresh win install, I saw the win 8 sticker on the back and I thought installing the laptop's original version of windows.

I was told (I think here on Toms) that a Windows 8 product key will work for installing 8.1, either 32 or 64 bit. In fact I have Windows 8 32 bit installed on one of my computers and a few weeks ago downloaded from the official Microsoft website both Windows 8.1 Pro 32 and 64 bit versions. I didn't have to enter the product code to do the download. I then used the Media creation tool to burn the 8.1 Pro 64 bit to a DVD.

I haven't installed the 8.1 Pro 64 bit yet, but plan to partition a spare hard drive and do a dual boot 8.1 Pro 32 bit/8.1 Pro 64 bit, at least until I find 64 bit versions of all my programs.

Check under your laptops battery for the product key.

Pakito99

Reputable
Sep 6, 2014

Belarc finds the same key that I found with the other software.

Pakito99

Reputable
Sep 6, 2014

It should do that even with win 8.1? or just with win 8?

The thing is that when you open the setup to download win 8 first thing that it does is asks for the key.

bignastyid

Titan

If 8.1 was installed either version should work but if it was never updated to 8.1 you have to use 8. It will ask for the key but you should have an option to skip and continue without entering a key. I have done this before (mainly on HPs and Acers) using OEM 8 and 8.1 install media.

Pakito99

Reputable
Sep 6, 2014

But I can't find windows 8 iso to download. Microsoft took it down from the main site. The only source I found on microsoft forums is a setup to download win 8 but asks for key before the download even starts.

bignastyid

Titan
Oops(sorry hadn't drank enough coffee yet), I was thinking it was asking for during the install. The reason your key won't work for downloading the ISO is because it's an OEM key, you can only download 7 and 8 from Microsoft with a Retail key. If you can't create a recovery disc, if that is not an option you can usually find cheap OEM media on Ebay.

USAFRet

Titan

Belarc will find the license key.
But it is of little use without the original Factory Reset partition, or DVD made from that.

Trying to d/l the ISO from Microsoft will detect it is an OEM license, and direct you to Asus to obtain the relevant install file.

USAFRet

Titan

Depends.
If the original Win 8 was simply upgraded to 8.1 (it was free), then the original Win 8 is of no use.
If that person had actually purchased (or obtained from wherever) a whole different new Win 8.1 license and used that...the original Win 8 should be OK.

There are only two entities that can assist with this.
Asus and Microsoft.

Does the original Factory Reset partition still exist on the hard drive?

Pakito99

Reputable
Sep 6, 2014

I think it doesn't exist. I'm pressing F9 before win boot and nothing happens

USAFRet

Titan

Open Disk Management
Look in there, and post a screencap here.

Pakito99

Reputable
Sep 6, 2014
ws4f1e.png