Question How do I find the correct NVME drive to select as boot drive

Feb 18, 2022
I have 3 x 1Tb in M2A, M2B and M2C and 1 x 2Tb in M2D, all M.2 drives. Problem is in setup I see
Boot Option 1 1TB
Boot Option 2 2Tb
Boot Option 3 1TB
Boot Option 4 1TB

I want to use the 1TB that is closest to the CPU, the M2A, but which of these 1TB drives in the M2A slot?

I have 3 x 1Tb in M2A, M2B and M2C and 1 x 2Tb in M2D, all M.2 drives. Problem is in setup I see
Boot Option 1 1TB
Boot Option 2 2Tb
Boot Option 3 1TB
Boot Option 4 1TB

I want to use the 1TB that is closest to the CPU, the M2A, but which of these 1TB drives in the M2A slot?
You didn't say which ones those are or which MB and CPU. Best is fastest drive in fastest M-2 slot and that's usually M.2 slot connected by PCIe supplied by CPU.
Much depends on particular MB and CPUhich can supply PCIe x4 and latest version is PCIe v5, There are some with PCLe v4 and v3 each progressively slower.
Second M.2 slot is usually connected to chipset which may support even lower PCIe versions and speed.
As for capacity of OS drive,it's up to you and how you plan to use it For OS only with some programs/games installed on it or all. Only difference is in speed and capacity of backups.

USAFRet

Titan
Disconnect all the others.
The one that remains is the right one.

During the OS install, you really really want only one drive connected anyway.
No matter what type.

Reactions: cAllen
Feb 18, 2022
You didn't say which ones those are or which MB and CPU. Best is fastest drive in fastest M-2 slot and that's usually M.2 slot connected by PCIe supplied by CPU.
Much depends on particular MB and CPUhich can supply PCIe x4 and latest version is PCIe v5, There are some with PCLe v4 and v3 each progressively slower.
Second M.2 slot is usually connected to chipset which may support even lower PCIe versions and speed.
As for capacity of OS drive,it's up to you and how you plan to use it For OS only with some programs/games installed on it or all. Only difference is in speed and capacity of backups.
Mb is Aorus gigabyte X570s master. Processor is ryzen 9 5900x
I have samsung 980 pro, 1tb in m2a, m2b and m2c with a 2tb in m2d. When I go into boot menu it does not mention which socket each drive is in. It just lists in order option 1 1tb, option 2 2tb, option 3 1tb, option 4 1tb.

USAFRet

Titan
Mb is Aorus gigabyte X570s master. Processor is ryzen 9 5900x
I have samsung 980 pro, 1tb in m2a, m2b and m2c with a 2tb in m2d. When I go into boot menu it does not mention which socket each drive is in. It just lists in order option 1 1tb, option 2 2tb, option 3 1tb, option 4 1tb.
Remove ALL drives.

Put the desired drive in the desired M.2 port.

Install the OS.

Later, connect the other drives.

Reactions: CountMike
Feb 18, 2022
Disconnect all the others.
The one that remains is the right one.

During the OS install, you really really want only one drive connected anyway.
No matter what type.

Remove ALL drives.

Put the desired drive in the desired M.2 port.

Install the OS.

Later, connect the other drives.
Unfortunately removing the drives is not possible as these use an adhesive heatsink pad top and bottom and then a srewed netal cover over them. Also, the large cpu cooler extends over the area that the drives are secured into, as does the gpu.

Feb 18, 2022
That would be handy but you can always format and name them so you can see which one to install OS to. They will show up during Windows installation. Most probably they would be listed in same order they are on MB, top first as Disk 0.
That is my problem. Mb is m2a m2b m2c all 1tb and m2d 2tb. But when in bios boot drive opyion 1 is 1tb option 2 is 2tb option 3 is 1 tb option 4 is 1tb. So as you see they ate out of sequence, hence I dont know which 1tb is which.