Question how do i fix a wireless card being disabled in windows 10 safe mode with networking?

Joshuacm

Prominent
Aug 1, 2021
It is a type of Realtek 802.11ac PCIe adapter. Some articles say this type commonly has problems. Microsoft says it is aware that wireless adapters have problems with networking in safe mode. Somebody claims it is a wifi stack problem. I don't know. Many people keep saying to reinstall windows, but I found that in another model, reinstalling it seemed to cause this problem possibly.

I don't think that reinstalling windows is always the answer. I also updated the BIOS, updated the driver as well. this driver was not updated prior to this issue. Nothing installed should have caused this.

HP tells me to to check WLAN service and troubleshoot networking. I checked WLAN in the system configuration. Cannot troubleshoot networking in safe mode. there is an option to enable the wireless adapter in safe mode, but it won't let me. outside of safe mode with networking, the wireless connection is fine.

kanewolf

Titan
It is a type of Realtek 802.11ac PCIe adapter. Some articles say this type commonly has problems. Microsoft says it is aware that wireless adapters have problems with networking in safe mode. Somebody claims it is a wifi stack problem. I don't know. Many people keep saying to reinstall windows, but I found that in another model, reinstalling it seemed to cause this problem possibly.

I don't think that reinstalling windows is always the answer. I also updated the BIOS, updated the driver as well. this driver was not updated prior to this issue. Nothing installed should have caused this.

HP tells me to to check WLAN service and troubleshoot networking. I checked WLAN in the system configuration. Cannot troubleshoot networking in safe mode. there is an option to enable the wireless adapter in safe mode, but it won't let me. outside of safe mode with networking, the wireless connection is fine.
Why are you booting to safe mode?
Can you use wired ethernet instead of WIFI ?

Joshuacm

Prominent
Aug 1, 2021
I do not have a router. One room in this house has a DSL, but I do not have easy access to any ethernet. Originally booted to safe mode with networking upon recommendation from someone due to a browser search redirect. That might be from an extension that I removed. I am watching that. However, due to the fact that I've seen this behavior on a previous laptop after reinstalling windows, then probably updating it, and two other factors:
  1. different possibilities for needing to troubleshooting and needing to access the internet
  2. the fact that windows was originally built to access the internet. This originally allowed access to wifi,.
I believe that due to these, there should be a way to fix it. There should be a setting that is changing a functional adapter to not be able to work in safe mode with networking. There is not an error in device manager. It is disabling it, and the context menu shows "enable." this means this command is being blocked. It is not grayed out.

Ralston18

Titan
Regarding:

"I do not have a router."

What do you have?

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

What network devices do you have? There should be a modem or more likely a modem/router (combined).

ISP? Make and model modem/router?

Usual connection path being:

ISP ----- DSL cable -----> [IN] splitter (filter) ----->[OUT 1] connection to modem/router and ----> [OUT 2] Telephone system.

Feel free to edit and correct my line diagram as necessary.

As asked by @kanewolf :

"Why are you booting to safe mode?
Can you use wired ethernet instead of WIFI "

Joshuacm

Prominent
Aug 1, 2021
i can provide some of this. I do not know all of it. I do not own it. i am not familiar with all the details. What is the ISP info for?
There is certainly a DSL modem that has an ethernet cable running to some device. i can check to find out if there are other ports. there is not a telephone system here. we all have cell phones. i can put information about my laptop, which is an HP laptop and it the latest version of windows 10. i would have to find out if there is a splitter. i think the isp split something, but outside, some splitter was taken out. originally, i was in safe mode due to some possible malware, but i want to just be able to use it for emergencies. i think the malware was a plugin.