How do I fix broken laptop key that came off?

Feb 21, 2023
My W key popped out. I made an attempt to superglue it back on, but this only exacerbated the issue. It became unresposnsive when I attempted to press it, and when I pressed it harder, it became stuck, resulting in a continuous 'W' prompt.

I then ripped the component off, used a metal nail to try and remove as much of the crazy glue as possible (there's still quite a lot caked on) and I'm not sure if I've permanently damaged the area where the W key resides.

I checked my local hardware store and they were next to useless, told me to go third party. Where's a good third party place to obtain the necessary components to fix this? And how do I diagnose if I did permanent damage when I tried to scrape away the crazy glue?

Edit: laptop is an ASUS ROG gl702VS

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
You don't superglue keycaps onto a laptop keyboard. You inspect the keyswitch and then attempt a repair or a direct replacement of the keyboard in your laptop. You just sent whatever was left of a functioning laptop into disarray.

In your above post, you forgot to mention the make and model of your laptop.

Well you have three choices Look on amazon and or ebay for a replacement keyboard and open up laptop and replace.
Buy a desktop USB keyboard and use laptop that way.

Or go to All apps ---Windows ease of access and use the on screen keyboard with mouse

Feb 21, 2023
You don't superglue keycaps onto a laptop keyboard. You inspect the keyswitch and then attempt a repair or a direct replacement of the keyboard in your laptop. You just sent whatever was left of a functioning laptop into disarray.

In your above post, you forgot to mention the make and model of your laptop.
So I take it I'm past the point of no return?

Post some really good pictures

acetone

Blot the glue with acetone or rubbing alcohol and let this substance break down the glue. Clear away with a damp cloth-----Q Tip-----. For fabric: Use acetone, but test sparingly first to avoid potential damage. Once the adhesive bond has begun to break, apply a pretreatment stain remover deep into the glue.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeah, you can try to remove the glue with a solvent, but given the crucial mistakes here: just ripping off the key and then trying to slap it back on with some glue, I'd be mildly surprised if you're in a position to do anything about this now (a photo probably won't help, it's just too hard to see this kind of thing unless it's in person). I'd start searching for the model's keyboard or compatible replacements on eBay.

Reactions: stonecarver
In general, super glue is the wrong glue for any application that sees impacts or shock loading. While there are more flexible super glues with essentially rubber bits in them, they are still inferior to something like an epoxy for something that will be hammered on.

Aftermarket replacement keyboards for that laptop are usually around $33--more costly than usual as it's backlit illuminated. That's probably a more sure fix than ordering a single used key on eBay for ~$10