[SOLVED] How do I fix choppy audio and video after updating a bunch of drivers?

Ravoblex

Honorable
Jul 25, 2014
I have an iBuyPower Windows 10 PC with the latest update. intel Core i7 Haswell with ASRock Z97 Board. 16GB DDR3 RAM. Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 Graphics Card with the latest driver. I just went through all my old drivers and updated them, mainly the Intel chip drivers, but also a bunch of others. Now I have choppy music playback through any audio program I use. I also have stuttering framerate and choppy audio while gaming. While I suspect these problems may be caused by driver issues, I really don't know. I tried the msconfig selective startup routine and got halfway through but gave up as I don't think these problems are caused by software conflicts. How do I fix the audio and video stuttering?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
try uninstalling the latest audio drivers and software,
restart the system,
running something like CCleaner to remove unnecessary files\registry entries left behind,
then re-install the latest AsRock audio package and see if it's fixed.
I also have stuttering framerate
you should try removing all GPU related drivers, settings and software with DDU(Display Driver Uninstaller).
then reinstall the latest package from Nvidia.

if neither of these help, it may be a corrupted chipset driver or something else within the OS.
you may need to do a fresh install of Windows and re-download all of the motherboard and other device drivers & software.
try uninstalling the latest audio drivers and software,
restart the system,
running something like CCleaner to remove unnecessary files\registry entries left behind,
then re-install the latest AsRock audio package and see if it's fixed.
I also have stuttering framerate
you should try removing all GPU related drivers, settings and software with DDU(Display Driver Uninstaller).
then reinstall the latest package from Nvidia.

if neither of these help, it may be a corrupted chipset driver or something else within the OS.
you may need to do a fresh install of Windows and re-download all of the motherboard and other device drivers & software.

Reactions: Ravoblex
Solution

Ravoblex

Honorable
Jul 25, 2014
Thanks everyone. I rolled back the NVIDIA drivers and that seemed to help but didn't solve the problem. In the end it was a bad SSD C drive. It wouldn't take a clean install of Windows 10 and bricked. I bought a new PC. Thanks for your help.