Question How do I fix my bricked pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luis Ra

Prominent
Jun 6, 2022
Hello Toms Hardware.
It’s my first build and I screwed up and I accidentally deleted my BIOS from control panel.
I already had my ssd with a operating system ready to go.

old motherboard: b450m gigabyte WiFi pro d3s

I install the new motherboard cool. Now booting my pc I get an error saying yes or no.
Don’t remember what it really said.
If I kept pressing no it won’t let me boot.
So I reset my bios and finally booted to windows.

Long story short, I switched motherboards b450m gigabyte to aorus b450. I never thought that there was a BIOS pre installed with the motherboard and I deleted BIOS when I booted to desktop. Thinking that that was a driver.

though I pressed f12 and I tried to boot into bios by clicking my ssd and the only thing it displays is a black screen saying that the system couldn’t find an operating system.

This also happended for uefi

Motherboard: Aorus b450 elite wifi

What can I do to fix this issue? Any ideas before I send my pc to professional hands?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I screwed up and I accidentally deleted my BIOS from control panel.
How did you do that? You can't delete your BIOS unless you had access to a BIOS programmer and wiped the BIOS chip clean.

Long story short, I switched motherboards b450m gigabyte to aorus b450. I never thought that there was a BIOS pre installed with the motherboard and I deleted BIOS when I booted to desktop. Thinking that that was a driver.
Are you mixing up BIOS with a Windows installation?

Also, please state the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

including all the parts that were swapped so there should be a before and after, specs.

I already had my ssd with a operating system ready to go.
Please elaborate on that. If you had the OS installed on a platform earlier than the b450m gigabyte WiFi pro d3s, then you're advised to reinstall the OS.

Luis Ra

Prominent
Jun 6, 2022
CPU: ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard: Aorus elite WiFi pro b450
Ram: XPG black color RGB 16GB
Ssd/Hdd: one SSD 512GB(main boot up) Hdd TB( not found)
GPU; rtx 2060
Psu 600 watts
Windows 10
Chassis phanteks p500a

Swapped chassis and motherboard

Luis Ra

Prominent
Jun 6, 2022
This is a full wipe and reinstall, as it should be any time you replace a motherboard with one that's not an exact duplicate (make, model, manufacturer). Rest assured that you cannot delete the BIOS in the manner you described.

How do I recover my BIOS since I deleted it from control panel/ app manager in windows 10?

How do I recover my BIOS since I deleted it from control panel/ app manager in windows 10?
Your BIOS hasn't gone anywhere. It resides in EEPROM on the motherboard. A full wipe/reinstall followed by a reinstall of all software and utilities should restore the missing link. Why you need such a link is a mystery as you can easily enter BIOS by following the instructions in the motherboard's manual (usually F1, F2, F10, F12 or Del during POST).

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

How would you do that? BIOS is not a Windows function, nor a Windows app.

Let's reverse the question: What do you think BIOS is? That'll help us diagnose what you're actually talking about.

And no, you can't have an SSD with an OS "ready to go" for a new motherboard. You install the OS with the motherboard installed. You don't slap an OS installed on an old build into a different build.

Luis Ra

Prominent
Jun 6, 2022
Your BIOS hasn't gone anywhere. It resides in EEPROM on the motherboard. A full wipe/reinstall followed by a reinstall of all software and utilities should restore the missing link. Why you need such a link is a mystery as you can easily enter BIOS by following the instructions in the motherboard's manual (usually F1, F2, F10, F12 or Del during POST).

When I press f12 it’s my screen to boot into bios. But when I click on my SSD the only thing it displays is a black screen that says missing operating system and that is not letting me boot into bios like I would normally do.

I get something like this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...g-system/0bd6a795-02b8-4815-9f7d-24bbd084bf7c

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
When I press f12 it’s my screen to boot into bios. But when I click on my SSD the only thing it displays is a black screen that says missing operating system and that is not letting me boot into bios like I would normally do.

What do you mean by "click on my SSD" here? We cannot see what you're doing directly, so you need to be specific rather than vague. You still really need to explain what you mean by BIOS.

Also, delete goes into BIOS in your motherboard, not F12. F12 is just for the boot menu. And since you don't have a properly installed OS, you have nothing to boot to.

Start from the beginning. Get Windows install media on your flash drive and then boot to the flash drive, wipe the SSD, and then install Windows on the SSD.

Last edited:

Luis Ra

Prominent
Jun 6, 2022
Yes, you're missing an operating system. Because you haven't properly installed one.
Take a picture of the actual screen you are seeing. We have absolutely no idea what you are looking at. BIOS has absolutely NOTHING to do with the SSD.

Page 23 of the Aorus manual clearly states that you press the <Delete> key during POST to enter BIOS.

I’ll send the pictures

Luis Ra

Prominent
Jun 6, 2022
WHY are you continuously clicking on the SSD entry when you've been told multiple times that the SSD has NOTHING to do with BIOS? There is a clearly visible and selectable "Enter Setup" which will enter the BIOS. All of this is clearly spelled out in the manual that came with your motherboard. It might behoove you to read it. You also need to properly install an OS as instructed earlier.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Ok thanks but I want to recover my family pictures first.

And where are these family pictures? On the HDD or the SSD?

Again, you need to actually explain things in detail because we are not at your computer and can not see anything. We only know the information about your PC that you actually tell us. This is literally the first time you mention pictures and then you still don't actually explain anything.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Follow this guide moving forward. Same process if installing 11. Just need a USB stick and working computer to get the USB side of things done which you'd then boot from on your pc. The tutorial explains each step so there should be no confusion. Just take your time and read it.

Ok thanks but I want to recover my family pictures first.
Why are they not already backed up prior to starting down a path that leads to disaster?

First rule: ALWAYS have a current tested backup on hand as system failure can happen at any time without warning.
Second rule: Before starting any system alterations make and test a full backup as a precaution.
Third rule: See Rules 1 & 2

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Why are they not already backed up prior to starting down a path that leads to disaster?

Or, really, backed up at all times as they should be.

If these things weren't backed up, this is just neglect.

OP, if you have family photos on the SSD, then you either need to connect the SSD, ideally in an enclosure, to another PC and back up the files or you need to buy an entirely new SSD on which to install Windows so as to not disturb the photos.

If the photos are on the HDD, then none of this has anything to do with where we are with this problem. The HDD shouldn't even be connected to the PC while Windows is being installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.