[SOLVED] How do I fix my computer that turns off immediately after being turned on?

Mar 21, 2020
Hello,

I recently purchased an Intel I7 9700F in order to replace the current I5 I have. After installing the new CPU, my fans and lights turn on for a split second before the whole PC shuts off. I currently have an MSI Z170A Gaming M5 LGA motherboard and was wondering if the problem has to do with compatibility between the motherboard and processor. I already tried updating to MSI's must recent BIOS update to no avail.

Thanks

Solution
Z170A chipset does not support Intel's 8th and 9th gen cpus = LGA 1151 V2 - the V2 is omitted for unknown reasons.
Z170A is for 6th and 7th gen = LGA 1151.
Gigabyte Z390 GAMING X ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
^You could even put a 9900K in there later on - if it ever comes to that - and it wouldn't give you too much trouble.

ASRock B365M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
If the 1st is too much, then this one would be fine - forget about putting a 9900K in it though, as that cpu would overwhelm this mobo's VRMs.

The Asrock B365Phantom Gaming is a good one, handles the 9900 nicely..

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43LMrHY_5g8

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The Asrock B365Phantom Gaming is a good one, handles the 9900 nicely..

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43LMrHY_5g8
1)It's the exact same motherboard, but with the 'premium' Phantom Gaming marketing fluff on it, and charging more for said fluff.

2)The guy runs it on an open test bed, because that's reflective of an actual in-chassis scenario... :rolleyes:

3)Like halfway through the video the guy states that the darn thing power throttled in less than 2 minutes of the stress test... VRMs overheated.
He then HAD to run a fan over them to maintain stability. At 8:16, he then shows a graph of the mosfet temps:
-110C(throttled), with no fan, open test bed, 27C ambient
-75C(stable), with fan, open test bed, 27C ambient
Both results are bloody terrible.
And all of that was after he raised the power limits, power duration limits, memory XMP, etc, because the default settings throttle the cpu from the get-go... perhaps this board wasn't designed for a 9900K?

If the testing were done in an actual case, the 2nd result would've been worse - after all, the ambient case temps are higher than in the actual room.

Last edited: