How do I fix Windows 10 setting screen(s) scrolling to bottom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomseurocat

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2014
I noticed this when I was trying to reset my locations setting in Win10. When I click on any page in settings that you have to scroll down to see all the text or options, once I click on an option at the top (in this case, location on/off) the page scrolls to the bottom of the page and when I try to scroll back up to the top it just scrolls automatically to the bottom again. I can never click on the location button at the top to turn the service on or off. I have restarted and rebooted my PC and it has no affect. How do I fix this issue? I thought of getting into the services page and toggling that way, but I can't find anything that would indicate the location service in the services app. Help please!

Solution
1809 was borked when it was released in October. It was re-released in early December and so far I've had zero issues with it on the ten or so systems I've done clean installs on with it. But there are ALWAYS going to be some less known or overlooked hardware models or applications that have issues with any new release and will need to be ironed out over time. This is NOT likely to be something that Microsoft will do though. It's going to be up to hardware and software developers to make THEIR products compatible with Windows, not the other way around.

Unless it is something that affects a wide array of products and systems, Microshaft is unlikely to waste resources on fixing it especially if it is a small sample that is affected.
Does it ONLY do this in Windows settings, or does the same behavior happen elsewhere like other applications or while browsing?

I would try this, first. Do both, SFC AND DISM. Run the SFC Scannow option and then restart and see if you still have the issue. If you do, then try the DISM option. When you run DISM, choose the DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth command option.

Be sure to run these from an ELEVATED command prompt, in other words, an administrator command prompt. In your start menu options, under Windows system tools, right click the command prompt and select Run as administrator.

https://www.howtogeek.com/222532/how-to-repair-corrupted-windows-system-files-with-the-sfc-and-dism-commands/

tomseurocat

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2014

No, not a mouse issue. I did as you suggested and tried another USB port and same thing.

tomseurocat

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2014

I ran both SFC and DISM from the admin command prompt, no issues were found and no files updated. The next step it talks about is doing a system restore. Do you concur with the restore? I use the original boot USB for that, correct? I just click the repair option keeping all my old files and settings, correct?

Edit: Sorry, this only happens in settings? All my other apps work just fine.

I don't EVER recommend running system restore, because in my experience it RARELY works. Usually, you lose a lot of files that way. I'd back up anything important including any browser favorites you might need, application installation files you might want for reinstalling applications and any game installers, pictures, music, documents, movies or other files that can't be replaced, and simply do a clean install.

Windows 10 Clean install tutorial

The majority of the time when I see people try to use system restore they either end up still having the same problem as before because the issue was already there at the time the last restore point was created, or it simply does not work correctly, and they end up doing a clean install anyhow.

Plus, you will still be on an older version of Windows and need to go through ALL of the updates since that version was released and then STILL probably need to do at least one spring or fall update as well. This way, if you download and create installation media using the latest build version of Windows, which is 1809 and is located here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You will already be past all that. Be sure to follow the guide exactly as outlined if you decide to do the clean install and do not click on Update now, instead click on Download tool now and during the creation of the media be sure to select "Create installation media for use on another computer" and THEN after all that, you can use the USB installation media to do the clean install.

tomseurocat

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2014

I think I'm going to wait until Microsoft gets 1809 right. It's very glitchy right now and a couple of my older programs are waiting updates to them. MS is notorious for not beta testing before release. I'm running 1803 and did a clean install of that less than a week ago. it works well, so I think I'll ride on that for a little bit.

1809 was borked when it was released in October. It was re-released in early December and so far I've had zero issues with it on the ten or so systems I've done clean installs on with it. But there are ALWAYS going to be some less known or overlooked hardware models or applications that have issues with any new release and will need to be ironed out over time. This is NOT likely to be something that Microsoft will do though. It's going to be up to hardware and software developers to make THEIR products compatible with Windows, not the other way around.

Unless it is something that affects a wide array of products and systems, Microshaft is unlikely to waste resources on fixing it especially if it is a small sample that is affected.

Solution

tomseurocat

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2014

I like the Microshaft thing! I like to think of them as Micromanage as well. I've already got the word into the software creator of my older programs that are having issues. As soon as that is fixed, I will in all likelihood update to 1809. Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.