Question How do I format boot drive without removing the EFI PXE Network thingy set by OEM

Nov 11, 2021
I'm returning my laptop and I want to format it back to it's original state. When it arrived it had this boot device called "EFI PXE Network" which is apparently a thing that allows the laptop to connect to a software repository for a fresh windows install or an upgrade.

So is there some kind of tool or? Or am I just stupid and if I use "some kind of tool" to format it, the boot device won't get obliterated? 🤔

Colif

Win 11 Master
if this is just so you can return Laptop, just do a factory reset. That should do all you need to do.

EFI PXE Network is a choice in the BIOS. It does as you say but I don't think you can reinstall it as such. Its just a setting that lets you boot windows over a network. Most People use an SSD or HDD instead. EFI PXE only shows for them if the boot drive isn't working.

PXE is used to execute an operating system’s bootstrap program using a network connection.
page 12 here - https://dl.dell.com/manuals/common/dellemc-boot-mode-bios-uefi.pdf

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2021
if this is just so you can return Laptop, just do a factory reset. That should do all you need to do.

EFI PXE Network is a choice in the BIOS. It does as you say but I don't think you can reinstall it as such. Its just a setting that lets you run windows over a network. Most People use an SSD or HDD instead. EFI PXE only shows for them if the boot drive isn't working.
I've never tried that before.
Do you mind telling me how much time it takes on average?

Colif

Win 11 Master
how long it takes can depend on how much info is on the PC and how many drives you have

Storage options
Up to two drives, 2x M.2 SSD
• M.2 2242 SSD up to 512GB
• M.2 2280 SSD up to 1TB
Storage Slot
Two M.2 slots
• One M.2 2280 PCIe® Gen 3x4 slot, supports M.2 2242/2280 SSD
• One M.2 2280 PCIe Gen 4x4 slot, supports M.2 2242/2280 SSD

I don't know what you have inside exactly as pdf just shows what is possible
https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sy...on_5_15ITH6H/Lenovo_Legion_5_15ITH6H_Spec.pdf
resets only clean C drive so if there are 2 drives in the laptop, you will need to format the 2nd one before returning it. Otherwise it will have info on it still.

ON a new laptop I would expect no more than an hour.

TRENDING THREADS