[SOLVED] How do I Format my Drive?

mariocyprus

Honorable
Aug 29, 2014
What should i choice ? MBR or GPT ?

I have a SSD 240GB (for system windows 10) and a HDD 500GB (for backups and games)..
so i am not using multi partition and not over 2T on a disk..
If i choice MBR will be ok for my windows 10 or because i am using win 10 is better to use GPT ?
Also it affect speed of my pc ?
what are you recommended me to choice ?

Solution
Generally - it doesn't matter.

For UEFI system boot drive has to be partitioned in UEFI.
For legacy system boot drive has to be partitioned in MBR.

For secondary storage drive this matters only, if storage capacity is more than 2TB.
So for you - doesn't matter at all.

Oh yes - if you're installing windows, have only single drive connected during install process or you may end with bootloader on a different drive than windows.

Colif

Win 11 Master
which drive are we choosing for?

If installing windows 10, it will see your PC is capable of GPT and will want to use it.
If storage, I would go GPT mainly as its future proof

neither should effect speed of the PC.

if you haven't installed win 10 yet,, when you are ready too, remove the data cable of the 500gb hdd so the only drive attached is the ssd, as win 10 sometimes puts the boot partition on any spare drives in PC, and this is a nuisance if you later remove that drive. Only reattach it once you know win 10 boots off USB Note - This applies whether you choose MBR or GPT

GPT is meant to be more capable of recovering if the boot partition is damaged. The main advantages of it over MBR don't really apply if you don't have large drives or want silly amount of partitions.

Last edited:

mariocyprus

Honorable
Aug 29, 2014
which drive are we choosing for?

If installing windows 10, it will see your PC is capable of GPT and will want to use it.
If storage, I would go GPT mainly as its future proof

neither should effect speed of the PC.
windows will be install on SSD, i would like to use MBR because ssd is already on MBR and i dont want to have to change ssd and bios setting to make it CPT.. in future if i want i can change it.. for now i prefer to stay MBR but i dont know if windows 10 accepting it..

Generally - it doesn't matter.

For UEFI system boot drive has to be partitioned in UEFI.
For legacy system boot drive has to be partitioned in MBR.

For secondary storage drive this matters only, if storage capacity is more than 2TB.
So for you - doesn't matter at all.

Oh yes - if you're installing windows, have only single drive connected during install process or you may end with bootloader on a different drive than windows.

Reactions: mariocyprus
Solution