How do I get "Administrator Privileges"?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.windows-me (More info?)

Searcher7@mail.con2.com writes:
> Todd H. wrote:
> > So, he's absolutely right, that you cannot legally put your Dell
> > OEM copy of win98 on a non-Dell computer. Even if it's
> > technically possible, it's still a breach of copyright.
>
> And would you mind posting the exact wording of what you have been
> referring to?

Refer to the license on the disk you posess for the exact wording of
the license terms. They vary slightly from release to release. But
I'll bet ya a dollar that you'll find it restricted to use on your
Dell system.

But, if you're the sort that needs a big cartoon-like graphic with an
orange X that says what you're proposing is illegal software piracy,
well, you're in luck:

http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/partners/YourPC_do.mspx

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.windows-me (More info?)

Can we start a new newsgroup called arguing.about.microsoft.licenses ???

.... Ben Myers

On 02 Feb 2005 21:51:05 -0600, comphelp@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote:

>Searcher7@mail.con2.com writes:
>> Todd H. wrote:
>> > So, he's absolutely right, that you cannot legally put your Dell
>> > OEM copy of win98 on a non-Dell computer. Even if it's
>> > technically possible, it's still a breach of copyright.
>>
>> And would you mind posting the exact wording of what you have been
>> referring to?
>
>Refer to the license on the disk you posess for the exact wording of
>the license terms. They vary slightly from release to release. But
>I'll bet ya a dollar that you'll find it restricted to use on your
>Dell system.
>
>But, if you're the sort that needs a big cartoon-like graphic with an
>orange X that says what you're proposing is illegal software piracy,
>well, you're in luck:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/partners/YourPC_do.mspx
>

>Best Regards,
>--
>Todd H.
>http://www.toddh.net/

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.windows-me (More info?)

<Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message

..

> BTW. Direct me to where it says that in my license.
> Darren Harris
> Staten Island, New York.

Read the thing for yourself for a change- it's there in black and white!

I don't have an ME Dell CD around to read, but it's plain as day in my OEM
EULA here.

Besides which, you probably wouldn't believe me if I quote the text verbatim
anyhow
Read the EULA

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

hh

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.windows-me (More info?)

Ben, uh, this is what the "Blocked Senders" list is for.
HH

Noel Paton wrote:
> <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
> >
> .
> >
> > BTW. Direct me to where it says that in my license.
> > Darren Harris
> > Staten Island, New York.
> >
> Read the thing for yourself for a change- it's there in black and
white!

> I don't have an ME Dell CD around to read, but it's plain as day in
my OEM
> EULA here.
>
> Besides which, you probably wouldn't believe me if I quote the text
verbatim
> anyhow
> Read the EULA

I have, and it says no such thing, outside of For Distibution with a
New PC Only".

That is why I asked you to post it.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Todd H. wrote:
> Searcher7@mail.con2.com writes:
> > Todd H. wrote:
> > > So, he's absolutely right, that you cannot legally put your Dell
> > > OEM copy of win98 on a non-Dell computer. Even if it's
> > > technically possible, it's still a breach of copyright.
> >
> > And would you mind posting the exact wording of what you have been
> > referring to?
>
> Refer to the license on the disk you posess for the exact wording of
> the license terms. They vary slightly from release to release. But
> I'll bet ya a dollar that you'll find it restricted to use on your
> Dell system.
>
> But, if you're the sort that needs a big cartoon-like graphic with an
> orange X that says what you're proposing is illegal software piracy,
> well, you're in luck:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/partners/YourPC_do.mspx

There is no date on that page, and it is directed at the hardware
manufacturers(their business partners), and not the end user. It
doesn't refer to a Windows version. And it doesn't quote a particular
license agreement. In fact, I'm sure that page was edited after Windows
XP entered the market, going by the last paragraph.

Any, that is still just Microsoft's way of trying to make more money by
intimidating the consumer with it's vagueness.

So I'll say again, that there is no way they can enforce what you say.
I only intend to use this copy on a single PC, so as long as this copy
doesn't exist on any other pc there is no problem.

Also, Microsoft hasn't been consistent with their EULAs, and that
doesn't help matters.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.