[SOLVED] How do I get my Monitor to automaticly turn on and off with my desktop?

Solution
Obtain a Solid State Relay having output rating of 10A @ 240 VAC, with 5VDC-24VDC control inputs.

Connect the control input DC output terminals of your USB 3.0 port (observing correct polarity.

Connect the load side of the Solid State Relay:
One terminal to AC Mains "Line".
Other terminal to monitor AC adapter "Line" contact.
Connect monitor AC adapter "Neutral" contact to AC Mains "Neutral".

Use safe and correct wiring methods and supplies to accomplish all of the above.

Now, every time you turn on your computer, the Solid State Relay will be switched on via the 5VDC that appears at your USB 3.0 port, and will switch on your monitor for you.

If your monitor has a soft power switch, you will need to press that to activate...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
What exactly do you mean by turn off? Do you mean remove power entirely or just hibernate the screen? Your monitor should do this automatically when your PC shuts down and it loses GPU signal.

Or do you mean completely off as if you've unplugged it from the wall?

What monitor are you using?

Obtain a Solid State Relay having output rating of 10A @ 240 VAC, with 5VDC-24VDC control inputs.

Connect the control input DC output terminals of your USB 3.0 port (observing correct polarity.

Connect the load side of the Solid State Relay:
One terminal to AC Mains "Line".
Other terminal to monitor AC adapter "Line" contact.
Connect monitor AC adapter "Neutral" contact to AC Mains "Neutral".

Use safe and correct wiring methods and supplies to accomplish all of the above.

Now, every time you turn on your computer, the Solid State Relay will be switched on via the 5VDC that appears at your USB 3.0 port, and will switch on your monitor for you.

If your monitor has a soft power switch, you will need to press that to activate the monitor, because most monitors default to a quiescent state when power is applied to them.

Otherwise, leave your monitor on, and let it go into a sleep state when it loses video input from your computer when you turn the computer off.

Last edited:
Reactions: HG1999
Solution
Apr 29, 2019
What exactly do you mean by turn off? Do you mean remove power entirely or just hibernate the screen? Your monitor should do this automatically when your PC shuts down and it loses GPU signal.

Or do you mean completely off as if you've unplugged it from the wall?

What monitor are you using?
my current issue is (I just got this monitor from walmart,old one would turn on when I turned on my desktop and turn off as well) it won't turn on and off with my desktop

Also thank ye AllanGH

my current issue is (I just got this monitor from walmart,old one would turn on when I turned on my desktop and turn off as well) it won't turn on and off with my desktop

Also thank ye AllanGH

The only time a monitor would actually turn off with the computer is if you were using one of the pass-through power supplies so the monitor was connected to the computer power supplies. I have not seen that setup in a long time in a computer power supply. So you are saying when you turn off the computer the monitor does not go to lower power sleep mode?