[SOLVED] How do i get my pc to go from 100mbps to 1gb.

Dec 24, 2021
I have tried everything from changing duplex from auto to 1gb and repairing the drivers for it. replacing cat cable and my other pc is getting 1gb speeds with old and new cables. i have two pcs and one will get 1gb and my gaming pc wont get over 100mbps. is there more settings i can change?

Solution
If you have a cat8 cable it is highly likely it is a fake cable. The cat8 standard is not even fully finalized and it is for cable used in data centers that have ports that can run at 40gbit. They are extremely expensive if they are real and they provide no benefit since your port can only run1 gbit anyway.

Ports dropping to 100mbps is almost always a bad cable. The only other option would be a bad port. Make sure you have cat5e cable or better only if they are cheaper. The key thing is the wire must be pure copper (no CCA) and have wire size 22-24 (no flat or thin cables).

The large problem lately are all the flat cables people buy. Most those have very thin 30awg wires. With the price of copper metal so high using...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Link speed is rarely ever to do with driver/or needing to change software settings so you can leave all of that at default settings and start looking closer at your network setup.

Router/switch/cables need to be gigabit rated. So you say another pc gets gigabit, what is the difference there in terms of what's plugged in and where?

Dec 24, 2021
Everything is identical other than the pc. everything is gigabit rated. and ive tried different ports of the switch and also have went directly to the modem. both have cat 8 cables both go to the same switch (ubiquity edge max)

If you have a cat8 cable it is highly likely it is a fake cable. The cat8 standard is not even fully finalized and it is for cable used in data centers that have ports that can run at 40gbit. They are extremely expensive if they are real and they provide no benefit since your port can only run1 gbit anyway.

Ports dropping to 100mbps is almost always a bad cable. The only other option would be a bad port. Make sure you have cat5e cable or better only if they are cheaper. The key thing is the wire must be pure copper (no CCA) and have wire size 22-24 (no flat or thin cables).

The large problem lately are all the flat cables people buy. Most those have very thin 30awg wires. With the price of copper metal so high using smaller wires makes the cables cheaper but anything with these thin wires does not meet the standards to function as a ethernet cable.

Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
alright ill try the cable that my other comp is getting 1gb with and if this pc doesnt get it then what would it be?

That shouldn't be the case. Do you have any 5e cables there? From like tv or console you could try?

All you can do is make sure right cable is used, properly plugged in and network settings returned to defaults. There's not much else to it.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Well that doesn't make sense since you changed network settings to troubleshoot a problem so initially there was an issue with cable or how it was plugged. That cable might not be true cat8 but if it's working and transfer/ ping is fine then leave it.

Dec 24, 2021
nevermind i think its my router... i hooked my comp to the modem and it went to 1gb but then i went back to my router and the ethernet going from modem to router is only getting 100mbs and ive tried multiple cables from modem to router

Dec 28, 2021
nevermind i think its my router... i hooked my comp to the modem and it went to 1gb but then i went back to my router and the ethernet going from modem to router is only getting 100mbs and ive tried multiple cables from modem to router
Buying a 1gb+ supported router would solve this problem ig

Dec 24, 2021
ubiquity edgerouter x one of my ports is not working i think i need to replace it because i have both pcs now with 1gb but now from my modem to router is 100mbs

That is more likely a symptom of bad cables.

That is the problem when you buy cables that are not actually certified and tested to meet the standards for ethernet cables. They can randomly work on some devices and not on others. Some devices tolerate a out of spec cable better than others so testing between devices is not a valid way to test a cable.

Even fully certified cables can be damaged, it only take one wire to get slightly loose in the end or a crack internal crack in the wire anyplace in the length. There really is no way for a home user to really test a cable, the meters used to certify ethernet cables are extremely expensive.

I really doubt it is ports on your router. I would buy a few quality cat5e ethernet cables to replace yours it is going to be a lot cheaper than a new router. Again the key to a good cable is to make sure the seller clearly states the cable is pure copper and the wire size is 22-24, 23 is the most common size.