[SOLVED] How do I get my router to reassign dhcp assigned ip addresses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
I noticed that one of my devices is having a lower IP than what I would like it to have assigned by DHCP of my router.

It might sound funny, but I don't want the device to be configured with a Static IP setting, I want the DHCP server on my router to assign a low or the lowest possible IP for my device in question instead of having an IP higher in the range from the available IP pool.

Can somebody please shed some light on this: DHCP Reassign IP, how do you do it?

What I cant get my head around is why isn't the DHCP server doing what would be desired, automatically! Most used devices should get the lowest IP in the pool range.

Last edited:
Solution
The exact details vary between routers but the process is more or less the same.

First you must define the normal DHCP pool. Let say you set 192.168.0.20-192.168.0.100. You can now manually setup DHCP reservations by mac address. You can use any ip below or above the dhcp pool for these reservation. Some routers you can reserve IP from the pool itself but it depends on the router. These reservations are kinda like a static IP. The router will always give out the same IP to these mac addresses when the machine asks for a IP.
The exact details vary between routers but the process is more or less the same.

First you must define the normal DHCP pool. Let say you set 192.168.0.20-192.168.0.100. You can now manually setup DHCP reservations by mac address. You can use any ip below or above the dhcp pool for these reservation. Some routers you can reserve IP from the pool itself but it depends on the router. These reservations are kinda like a static IP. The router will always give out the same IP to these mac addresses when the machine asks for a IP.

Solution

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019

Unless you changed something that determines the device even thou the mac address remains the same, In my case it seems the router then reassigns a new lower pool IP for the same device witch previously had a more desirable IP ( I just formatted my pc, and now my router refuses to reassign the previously used DHCP server assigned IP, without using reservations or static IP settings.

Look at it like this, what I want to have happen is the exact thing that the router did when it first recognized devices connected to it.( thinking about this, gives me the idea of how to achieve the answer).

Last edited:

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
OK, I seemed to have got it figured out.

You change the range of the DHCP server IP pool to leave only the desired IP available in the range of available IP's , then you hit apply sign out, disconnect, reconnect and sign in and change the range back to normal. (whoala), Desired lowest possible IP assigned to device without resorting to static or reservations.

Last edited:
This is crazy, I can't think of a reason why you would need a lower IP address anyways, other than for OCD reasons. Just reserve and assign an IP to a MAC address or set a static outside the range. I make my pool start at 192.168.1.50 and I set all my static Ip's in the 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.49. When I pull up my client list, I can see all my static devices sitting comfortably exactly where I want them.

This is crazy, I can't think of a reason why you would need a lower IP address anyways, other than for OCD reasons. Just reserve and assign an IP to a MAC address or set a static outside the range. I make my pool start at 192.168.1.50 and I set all my static Ip's in the 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.49. When I pull up my client list, I can see all my static devices sitting comfortably exactly where I want them.
^^^ This.

That is the proper way to do things.

You are going to have to do that every time you reboot your machine. Also if you leave it on the dhcp lease will timeout and it will reassign a IP out of the current pool.

Been a long time so I don't remember the syntax but you can set the IP address with a command line if you really want.
The base command is this but you will have to look up the details

netsh interface ipv4 set

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
It's seems to me that my pc & my devices remain on the same IP witch are DHCP assigned by router for ease of use, regardless of anything that happens eg: reboot device, reboot or reset router, one device turning on before another and so on, turning off a certain device for a long period of time for maintenance or recharging while powered off.

But when there is a power failure or sudden loss of power for a few hours or more, then after everything gets turned on again in succession IP addresses get assigned by the order of the devices turning on, thus the most used device my gaming pc witch is also the most expensive obviously gets usually turned on last or at least not first only when I know the the power to it is stable again.

It really doesn't matter all that much that such devices are getting a random IP each time this happens, But I did get used to having certain devices on certain IP's without resorting to manually setting static or any reservations or whatever other kind of reconfiguration apart from default, that can be heavily relied on to retain it's settings.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.