How do I get rid of wtf 169.254.. rubbish

Mark Golding

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
I switched on PC Wednesday and saw IP conflict with only ONE PC connected to router, the only switched on.
Since then it has been a nightmare. I' ve tried every recommendation under the sun for the last 48 hours. I'm computer savvy, used to do networks but gave up due to this kind of crap.
This has me beat.
The question is this? How do I get rid of the stupid auto assigned ip that prevents my router from leasing an ip?

Mark Golding

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013

Yes the ip is assigned by default by Microsoft's default network configuration in Registry. I've disabled IPAutoConfiguration in Registry, which I'm used to doing with success in another cack version of Windows, Xp. WIndows 7 is different.

I can't get any sense out of Microsoft on their support forums. I just need someone to show me how to get rid of the assigned static ip in windows 7 Home Premium.

Please don't reply with 'just configure ip properties to receive ip automatically' this is the elementary stuff I always get from Microsoft's support forum - and it's not the solution.

Believe me I have tried E V E R Y T H I N G

Have you tried setting your own static ip address. Most home routers set dhcp for the 192.168.1.x range. If you set your IP to 192.168.1.254 - you'd probably never see 250 devices on a home network, so your dhcp wouldn't ever use this. If this works, you can set an exclusion for it in your router.