[SOLVED] How do I go about a rebuild?

Alex.D1

Prominent
Dec 6, 2020
I have purchased all the parts for a new rebuild. I am switching out every component except for my graphics card and my hard drive. I bought my pc prebuilt so I don't really know how to go about driver reinstallation. I am upgrading to a ryzen 5 5600x and I got a msi mpg b550 gaming edge motherboard. Will I have to update the BIOS in order for it to work, or should it come with the correct BIOS? Also will windows recognize the motherboard and install the drivers or will I have to install each one? I also don't know how to go about reinstalling windows 10 because as I said I bought it with it already installed. It is linked to my Microsoft account if that means anything. I assume I am going to have to wipe my hard drive, which is going to suck. I know it isn't very smart of me to completely rebuild my pc without much knowledge on how to do it, but nonetheless, I am doing it. I am good with all the actual physical installation, just not the software side to it. Any help would really be appreciated.

Solution
No worries, its not that difficult and its rewarding. You aren't really upgrading as much as building a whole new system and reusing parts.

-First thing you need to do is make sure your Mobo has the updated BI0S to support Zen 3. Your Mobo has a flash bios feature which you need to use. Your mobo manual will give you the step by step instructions. New bios can be found on MSI website, on support tab on your mobos page.
-Next assemble your parts, plenty of YouTube videos on this. Pay most attention when seeding your processor, that's really the only place you can easily destroy something.
-Wipe your hard drive so you have a clean slate. Having old system files on there can mess things up.
-Download windows installer on a USB.
-Insert...

larsv8

Distinguished
No worries, its not that difficult and its rewarding. You aren't really upgrading as much as building a whole new system and reusing parts.

-First thing you need to do is make sure your Mobo has the updated BI0S to support Zen 3. Your Mobo has a flash bios feature which you need to use. Your mobo manual will give you the step by step instructions. New bios can be found on MSI website, on support tab on your mobos page.
-Next assemble your parts, plenty of YouTube videos on this. Pay most attention when seeding your processor, that's really the only place you can easily destroy something.
-Wipe your hard drive so you have a clean slate. Having old system files on there can mess things up.
-Insert USB, start system. Your system will recognize the installer and begin windows install. Follow windows install instructions.
- Once windows is installed, do windows updates, then update all your mobo drivers / utilities, and also your GPU drivers.

Last edited:
Solution

Alex.D1

Prominent
Dec 6, 2020
-First thing you need to do is make sure your BIOS has the updated BIS to support Zen 3. Your Mobo has a flash bios feature which you need to use.
-Then assemble your parts, plenty of youtube videos on this. Pay most attention when seeding your processor.
-Wipe your hard drive so you have a clean slate.
-Inset USB, start system, follow windows install instructions.
- Do windows updates, then update all your drivers.
Thanks. I already knew about the BIOS and I already had the latest one on my usb drive in case it doesn't come with the newest version. I just more so needed to know about windows so that helped a lot. I have already replaced my graphics card before so I know how to go about installing the drivers for it, but for the motherboard will it recognize it and download the drivers itself or will I have to manually download the lan, chipset, ect. drivers?

Alex.D1

Prominent
Dec 6, 2020
Your BIOS will get you to a starting point which will allow Windows to install.

Once windows is installed, sometimes it can find all your drivers, sometimes not.

From there, just manually go to your mobo page and it will have all the related drivers

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-B550-GAMING-EDGE-WIFI#down-bios
Yeah I mean I have everything already on a usb stick, I was just wondering if I would actually need it, but thanks to you I now know. I appreciate the help.