[SOLVED] How do I 'ground' myself (w/o anti-static bracelet) to avoid static damage?

barkersofgeraldine

Reputable
Nov 11, 2020
My whole house is carpeted; will it help if I put cardboard box around the area I build the PC in? What else should I do?

Should I put cardboard on the table where I will put the components together (the mobo into the case, the ram into the mobo, etc.)?

I have watched many videos that say to touch the PSU, but I am confused in some of those videos because they suggest to have the PSU plugged in but turned off. I dont really feel safe doing that. Also, it gives me little room to work with because of it being plugged to the wall

Suggestions?

The ground/earth wire of the PSU is directly attached to the metal housing of it. That's why they tell you to plug it in but leave the hard-switch in the off position. It's still connected to ground/earth, but the computer can't turn on.

I'd say just leave the PSU out and touch it once in a while until you're ready to cable up the computer.

Reactions: barkersofgeraldine

barkersofgeraldine

Reputable
Nov 11, 2020
The ground/earth wire of the PSU is directly attached to the metal housing of it. That's why they tell you to plug it in but leave the hard-switch in the off position. It's still connected to ground/earth, but the computer can't turn on.

I'd say just leave the PSU out and touch it once in a while until you're ready to cable up the computer.
does the PSU have to be plugged to the wall socket, and the button at the socket on, but at the PSU off?