How do I install Intel HD Graphics onto a custom built PC?

Solution
Just about every recent mobo since sb has a igpu option so you don't have to take out the dgpu. It maybe called igpu multi monitor while others just have igpu enable/disable. You don't need to uninstall anything but you still need to move the cable.

Synergy was never released and virtu keeps both gpus on which means higher power consumption. It's mostly irrelevant with modern cards being in 2d mode at 10w or less. While that will make a difference to battery life, that is hardly anything on the power bill even in countries with high electricity rates. There's just no point in dumping money into it rather than just making their gpus more efficient.

enderkevin13

Reputable
Mar 4, 2015

I already have a GTX 1060 3GB, but I wanna mess around with Intel HD Graphics in some games real quick. It says my i5-6500 uses Intel HD Graphics 530 but I can't install it. Gives me an error every time.

enderkevin13

Reputable
Mar 4, 2015

I know that, but I just wanna mess around with it and test it with some games.

Well for one, the motherboard GPU (the Itnel HD graphics) is shut off because you have a GPU installed. Remove that GPU, switch your display cable to the motherboard, and then mess around with the settings. Again, it's pointless. But you cannot do it with the GTX 1060 installed.

The issue is that the Intel on-board graphics are most likely disabled when you plug in a GPU. This, of course, depends on your motherboard. Check you mobo manual if you can select internal or PCI GPU in the bios. If it's not in the bios, then the only other option is to remove your GTX 1060 to enable the internal graphics.

kraelic

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
Remove the discrete card and hook the display to the motherboard, then it should allow you to install the Intel drivers.

I have not tested this but I think you can remove the desktop nvidia drivers and install the notebook drivers for optimus mode on the desktop. Helpful if you want a 'green' pc as the IGP does all the display output and works fine for most tasks, then the demanding games or rendering will call for the nvidia card to power up and optimus sends the processed frame to the IGP output. You leave the display on the IGP output if you want this feature.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4292/nvidia-synergy-desktop-optimus

Perhaps it works with the desktop drivers also, but still hook to the IGP, then open the nvidia control panel and see if it allows you to auto or switch preferred graphics card on manage 3d settings.

Just about every recent mobo since sb has a igpu option so you don't have to take out the dgpu. It maybe called igpu multi monitor while others just have igpu enable/disable. You don't need to uninstall anything but you still need to move the cable.

Synergy was never released and virtu keeps both gpus on which means higher power consumption. It's mostly irrelevant with modern cards being in 2d mode at 10w or less. While that will make a difference to battery life, that is hardly anything on the power bill even in countries with high electricity rates. There's just no point in dumping money into it rather than just making their gpus more efficient.

Solution