[SOLVED] How do I just get one beep?

Jan 8, 2022
Shouldn't I get just one beep from a motherboard/ CPU/fan/PSU? What would prevent it?

Earlier post: I pulled an idle computer from three years of storage and couldn't get a beep code of any sort. (System 1 specs below) I removed everything except the CPU, CPU fan, speaker cable, replaced the battery, cleared the CMOS, tried with and without memory and still no beep. The CPU and PSU fans still turned, although the CPU used to start up fast.

I had a spare mobo that had never been used and I bought a cheap new CPU to test it in case my PSU was the problem (System 2).

Same problem: no beeps but fans spin.

I decided to upgrade and get this crap over with so I just bought System 3 below. Still no beep.

Additional comments below.

System1:
MOBO Asus M5A97 mobo
CPU AMD FX-Series FX-6300 FD6300WMHKBOX
MEMORY Corsair DDR8 2x2x4 9-9-9-24
PSU Thermaltake W0382RU Modular Power Supply - 750 Watt, 140mm Fan, 80 Plus Bronze

System 2
MOBO Asus M4A 88T-V EVO/USB3 Never used
CPU New AMD Sempron 140 X 140 X140 2.7G Single-Core CPU Processor SDX140HBK13GQ Socket AM3
No memory
PSU: THERMALTAKE TR2 RX-850AH3CH 850W 24 PIN ATX SEMI-MODULAR POWER SUPPLY

System 3
MOBO: New Gigabyte B550 Gaming X REV 1.0 (newest bios: mb_bios_b550-gaming-x_f14e successfully Q-Flashed)
CPU: New Ryzen 5600G 6 core 12 thread CPU 294315699490
MEMORY: New Corsair 16GXM2B 3200 C16 16-16-16-36 (16 gigs total)
PSU: THERMALTAKE TR2 RX-850AH3CH 850W 24 PIN ATX SEMI-MODULAR POWER SUPPLY

• I've tried combinations with and without a video card (Sapphire Radeon Vapor-X R9 280X 3G DDR5 Tri-x PCIE)
  • I tried using the integrated HDMI port on the mobo panel
  • I've tried with and without memory on systems 1 and 2
  • I used both PSU power cables, the 24-pin and the 8-pin. The 4-pin is dangling
  • I've gone through the checklist called "No POST", "system won't boot", and "no video output" troubleshooting checklist."
  • The system is breadboarded and on an antistatic surface
  • Yes, the CPU fan is installed and the fans run
Shouldn't there be just one beep with only the power supply, CPU fan, and speaker attached? Once I can get the single beep I can go from there.

Thanks for any help!

Steve R

Solution
Are you reusing any of the PSU cables or otherwise swapping PSU cables around?

Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it? Or know someone who does?

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load. However, any voltages out of spec would make the PSU(s) suspect.

Likewise, any cables that you can remove from case can be checked for continuity and shorts.

Is the computer speaker easily removable? Do you have another known working speaker (i.e., it beeps) to swap in?

No matter which motherboard, etc. is being used/tested having a known working speaker in place will should prove helpful.

Even if the single "All okay" beep...

Ralston18

Titan
Reference System 3.

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_b550-gaming-x_e.pdf

Does the link present the applicable user manual?

(Do verify that I found the correct User Manual.)

Double check audio connections per 11) F_Panel and 12) F_Audio on physically numbered page 17.

Yes you should hear a single beep (F_PANEL) being the likely connection.

"SPEAK (Speaker, Orange): Connects to the speaker on the chassis front panel. The system reports system startup status by issuing a beep code. One single short beep will be heard if no problem is detected at system startup."

Is there indeed a speaker present and correctly connected?

Jan 8, 2022
Thanks so much for the reply, Ralston18. Yes, that's the right manual.

Yes, I do have a speaker attached to the four prongs on the motherboard where it's labeled "speaker". I've tried both of the two ways it can be attached.

In case the speaker is broken, I've also tried a working monitor and cable attached to the HDMI port on the back panel. I see no post or anything.

Thanks again!

Reference System 3.

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_b550-gaming-x_e.pdf

Does the link present the applicable user manual?

(Do verify that I found the correct User Manual.)

Double check audio connections per 11) F_Panel and 12) F_Audio on physically numbered page 17.

Yes you should hear a single beep (F_PANEL) being the likely connection.

"SPEAK (Speaker, Orange): Connects to the speaker on the chassis front panel. The system reports system startup status by issuing a beep code. One single short beep will be heard if no problem is detected at system startup."

Is there indeed a speaker present and correctly connected?

Ralston18

Titan
Are you reusing any of the PSU cables or otherwise swapping PSU cables around?

Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it? Or know someone who does?

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load. However, any voltages out of spec would make the PSU(s) suspect.

Likewise, any cables that you can remove from case can be checked for continuity and shorts.

Is the computer speaker easily removable? Do you have another known working speaker (i.e., it beeps) to swap in?

No matter which motherboard, etc. is being used/tested having a known working speaker in place will should prove helpful.

Even if the single "All okay" beep is not heard, there should be some series of long and short beeps to indicate the nature of the problem.

Solution
Jan 8, 2022
I'm using NO cables except two power cables going to the mobo. At this point I'm just trying to get the one beep and I don't need SATA or other extraneous cables adding unnecessary variables to that task.

I have the speaker removed from the case and properly placed on the mobo but I've thought about buying another one. I'd have to order it.

This is the second PSU I've tried but maybe using a multimeter is where I need to go. I'll try that next week. (I'm tied up now)

Thanks, Ralston18

Reactions: Ralston18