Question How do I keep ants out of my PC?

Alkimia7945

Prominent
Dec 17, 2020
I´ve decided to buy my first PC a few days ago and it should arrive around a week from now, but I´m a bit concerned. In my house, ants have decided to call my dad´s printer their new home. The last thing I want those ants to do is to look at my shiny new PC and decide to move there instead. I´m not sure if this is the right place to post this but, how do I prevent ants from nesting in my PC?

USAFRet

Titan
I´ve decided to buy my first PC a few days ago and it should arrive around a week from now, but I´m a bit concerned. In my house, ants have decided to call my dad´s printer their new home. The last thing I want those ants to do is to look at my shiny new PC and decide to move there instead. I´m not sure if this is the right place to post this but, how do I prevent ants from nesting in my PC?
Remove the ants from the house.

A PC has open spaces. Fans, vents, etc.
You cannot hermetically seal the case.

Reactions: prateek320i

Ralston18

Titan
After a few cold and wet spring days some number of years ago I discovered ants had moved in under a nice warm power bar.

Vacuumed them up and then caulked up some very tiny holes and molding gaps.

Figure out where the ants got in and block with those places with caulking. Then, as has been suggested, place a few strategically placed traps. Indoors and outdoors as applicable.

Do be careful about using traps etc. if there are young kids and pets about.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Don't use Borax (bonk!), that's by necessity a micro-super fine powder that's designed to be sucked into the tiny holes in the carapace insects use to 'breathe' and clog them, forcing asphyxiation. Inside a 'windy' pc, it'll be everywhere and next to impossible to effectively clean anything.

Instead, use a liquid ant spray and liberally coat the space the case will sit on, then put the case on top of that spot. The ants walk through the poison, then transfer it to food supplies. Don't kill live ants, allow them to leave and go home, to poison more ants. Killing live ants is actually counterproductive.

Same methodology as an ant trap, except ant traps use poisoned food source.

Latest posts