[SOLVED] How do I keep my curve editor in MSI after burner from changing?

Yoiji

Honorable
Mar 29, 2018
I had to use MSI afterburner to lower the curve editor on my RTX 3080 Aorus Master because of the crashing. I just got a new PSU so I am trying to see if I still crash with default clock speeds. I clicked that counter clockwise arrow to set everything to default which changed my curve editor. However, every single time I open up the curve editor when I am in a game, it changes the curve editor to lower or sometimes higher depending on the game. No idea why it won't stay at the constant when I set it to default. Is there a way I can just delete MSI afterburner while keeping the clock/default settings of my GPU?

Also, anyone have an RTX 3080 Aorus Master and could send me a screen shot of their default curve editor on MSI afterburner? Even after I clicked it to go back to default settings, it looks much lower than what it used to be.

Solution
uninstalling Afterburner and restarting the system will enable the Gigabyte default GPU settings to load.

if you have the Gigabyte Aorus software, or any other GPU control software, installed along with Afterburner they can be conflicting with the Afterburner settings and vice versa.

but the core speeds on modern GPUs are dynamic.
they will fluctuate depending on the load and usage of the GPU.
so seeing these numbers change in real-time even while a game is running is how they are supposed to work.
could send me a screen shot of their default curve editor on MSI afterburner?
your GPU's curve profile would be pertaining to the fan curve.
core & memory clock settings only give you a maximum to set, not an actual curve.

if you're...
uninstalling Afterburner and restarting the system will enable the Gigabyte default GPU settings to load.

if you have the Gigabyte Aorus software, or any other GPU control software, installed along with Afterburner they can be conflicting with the Afterburner settings and vice versa.

but the core speeds on modern GPUs are dynamic.
they will fluctuate depending on the load and usage of the GPU.
so seeing these numbers change in real-time even while a game is running is how they are supposed to work.
could send me a screen shot of their default curve editor on MSI afterburner?
your GPU's curve profile would be pertaining to the fan curve.
core & memory clock settings only give you a maximum to set, not an actual curve.

if you're having issue with the fan curve profile that is because Afterburner does not support fan control on many 3rd party(non-MSI) cards.
for this you may have to use the AMD Adrenaline software
or the Gigabyte Aorus Engine software.

Solution

Yoiji

Honorable
Mar 29, 2018
Oh, so the curve editor is suppose to change depending on the game I am playing, even when set to default? Because when I set the curve editor low to fix my problem before, the curve editor never changed, but now it is after I changed it to default

Last edited:
Will factory resetting my PC set my GPU to default clock speeds? I am resetting it due to other reasons not because of this overclock thing but still asking.
If by factory reset you mean windows restore then it will do almost nothing good and might mess up the system even more.

I would recommend clean windows reinstallation instead. My recommendation is not for msi afterburner's curve, is instead of resetting but will certainly delete the curve as well.

Oh, so the curve editor is suppose to change depending on the game I am playing
what "curve" are you talking about?
the core & memory clocks are not designed around a curve that you can manipulate.
there is only a MAX clock setting.

the only curve you can create regarding the GPU is a FAN curve controlling how slow or how fast the fans will function depending on temperature.
Will factory resetting my PC set my GPU to default clock speeds?
factory resetting will remove any software you have installed.

if you choose to keep personal files & settings there may still be profiles stored in User documents pertaining to Afterburner or Adrenaline but without the software to implement them it would still be running on the factory default Gigabyte settings.

Yoiji

Honorable
Mar 29, 2018
what "curve" are you talking about?
the core & memory clocks are not designed around a curve that you can manipulate.
there is only a MAX clock setting.

the only curve you can create regarding the GPU is a FAN curve controlling how slow or how fast the fans will function depending on temperature.
factory resetting will remove any software you have installed.

if you choose to keep personal files & settings there may still be profiles stored in User documents pertaining to Afterburner or Adrenaline but without the software to implement them it would still be running on the factory default Gigabyte settings.
There is this thing called "Curve Editor" at the bottom left. In the videos it was moved down to control the voltage at a max rate.

There is this thing called "Curve Editor" at the bottom left.
through a couple of the skins i have seen this option, it is for controlling the P-States of the GPU.
this will determine where the clocks and the voltage rests at different intervals of usage.

i wouldn't touch these settings and only adjust the Core, Memory, & Power Limit for now.
leave the P-States at default unless you want to go through and stress test each individual state one-at-a-time until you get them all perfectly stable for your card.

the reason they may be continuously defaulting\changing could be because Gigabyte has it's own profile built-in and Afterburner cannot overwrite this permanently.
after I clicked it to go back to default settings, it looks much lower than what it used to be.
MSI\Afterburner may have a different spec built-in for "default" so this may be lower than your card's own default setting.

unless you are having trouble keeping an overclock stable
or are trying to drastically reduce voltages at certain P-States,
i would leave these settings alone for good.