[SOLVED] How do I keep my network working

Sep 12, 2021
Hi
I have just bought 4 poe ipcamera and a nvr. I have registered all 5 devices with static ip on my isp's router with ip's in the range (192.165.0.*)
To get it working I have connected the 4 ipc to a 4 port poe switch which is connected to my lan, the nvr is also connected to my lan. So as it stands today everything works.
I also could not get the nvr to connect to the ipc without knowing their ip's, hence they are static ip's.
I use devolo powerline adapters to get the lan throught the house (isp router is in the garage), but this is what it looks like (but switch and nvr plugged into powerline adapters)

At some point next year we will move out of our house and live in Vietnam (to spend time with the wife's ageing family) and rent our house out, the tenants will absolutely have their own broadband and new router so my cameras wont work anymore as they'll have a different ip range. Even if they don't get broadband I'd still need to keep a cctv lan running.
The current switch and nvr are up in the attic and incoming phone socket is in the garage so that's where any new ips router would be and the tenants would need to use powerline adapters as I do to get the network inside the house.

What do I need to get so that no matter who they get their broadband router from and what ip they setup, my stuff will continue to work and they would be able to view it on a browser.

I'm also ok to change my router to use 192.168. instead of 192.165 (i thought i was being clever many years ago but now i dont't think i was )

thanks

Solution
It is not just the ip address the router must also allow remote access from internet to these devices. This will require port forwarding rules and maybe some other settings. Be very careful camera systems have lots of bugs and back doors. I would consider using a vpn running on the router to access them rather than trying to directly access them from the internet.

My recommendation would be to install internet and have everything configured to make this work. Include the internet as part of the rental contract along with the requirement that they contact you for any changes to the router. In effect they get free internet and most people are more than happy if they don't have to deal with stuff. I would also let them have...

kanewolf

Titan
Hi
I have just bought 4 poe ipcamera and a nvr. I have registered all 5 devices with static ip on my isp's router with ip's in the range (192.165.0.*)
To get it working I have connected the 4 ipc to a 4 port poe switch which is connected to my lan, the nvr is also connected to my lan. So as it stands today everything works.
I also could not get the nvr to connect to the ipc without knowing their ip's, hence they are static ip's.
I use devolo powerline adapters to get the lan throught the house (isp router is in the garage), but this is what it looks like (but switch and nvr plugged into powerline adapters)

At some point next year we will move out of our house and live in Vietnam (to spend time with the wife's ageing family) and rent our house out, the tenants will absolutely have their own broadband and new router so my cameras wont work anymore as they'll have a different ip range. Even if they don't get broadband I'd still need to keep a cctv lan running.
The current switch and nvr are up in the attic and incoming phone socket is in the garage so that's where any new ips router would be and the tenants would need to use powerline adapters as I do to get the network inside the house.

What do I need to get so that no matter who they get their broadband router from and what ip they setup, my stuff will continue to work and they would be able to view it on a browser.

I'm also ok to change my router to use 192.168. instead of 192.165 (i thought i was being clever many years ago but now i dont't think i was )

thanks
Put in your own service that you maintain independent of the tenants. It may be considered a business expense related to the rental.
Personally, I would not want to be a tenant knowing that I was constantly under video surveillance.

It is not just the ip address the router must also allow remote access from internet to these devices. This will require port forwarding rules and maybe some other settings. Be very careful camera systems have lots of bugs and back doors. I would consider using a vpn running on the router to access them rather than trying to directly access them from the internet.

My recommendation would be to install internet and have everything configured to make this work. Include the internet as part of the rental contract along with the requirement that they contact you for any changes to the router. In effect they get free internet and most people are more than happy if they don't have to deal with stuff. I would also let them have access to the camera systems, they are going to have physical access anyway and could just unplug them. If they use them they are more likely to tell you if there are problems or maybe reboot things if you need it.

If they want to put in a second internet connection just for themselves just put in the restriction they can not have yours disconnected. Problem is going to be the powerline network since you can't really run 2 independent networks.

You in some ways got very lucky when you picked 192.165.x.x. That is a public ip owned by some company in sweden, although registration information is not always reliable. If you happen to use a IP range used by a web site you would not be able to access it. You technically can use any IP block you want internally but that block will then be considered to be LAN and the traffic will never go to internet.

Solution